Police driving - good or bad

I'm not too sure that wasn't deliberate on the part of the lorry driver.

One of the volunteers where I work had an experience like that - was a Bobby responding (with everything going) on a Motorway when someone deliberately pulled out in front of him (the kids in the back giving him the finger were proof of that), and he wound up on the other carrigeway in the hard shoulder.

Nice video i think most of us got the same veiws on the police,and there driving, most of the time they dont even look in mirrors or indicate my opinion is very low on the police,i was going down the M18 south bound the other day was not speeding i saw this cop car in lane 1 i was just about to over take it when she yes a woman cop just pulled right in front of me doing 55 mph on a motor way would not of minded if she indicated i would of been prepared for it,and she sat there for ages after she over took this other car then decided to indicate once to go back into lane 1 to me they are not that much of good drivers,i recon they must think that all us other drivers no what there next move is whilst driving.:mad:

interesting, the police surely must have had the blue lights flashing to be allowed to exceed the speed limit? imo the policeman is at fault and should be prosecuted, there cannot be one law for the police and one for the public,

Sorry to say this but unfortunatley there is a law for them and well we dont have a law because no one listens to the other motorist,take for instance,mobile phones we cant use them without hands free yeah,so why do the police use there own digital radio with one hand on the steering wheel and other hand changing gear whilst they are pressing the buttons to talk to other officers or the control room its excatly the same:mad:

raid not mate they have to use hands free, or the other op does the radio.

im certain that they are supposed to have the blues on when speeding. sirens not required but the blues should be on at least

raid not mate they have to use hands free, or the other op does the radio.

im certain that they are supposed to have the blues on when speeding. sirens not required but the blues should be on at least

interesting, the police surely must have had the blue lights flashing to be allowed to exceed the speed limit? imo the policeman is at fault and should be prosecuted, there cannot be one law for the police and one for the public,

Afraid not. I havent watched the video to see what happened but a Police officer responding to a priorty job under emergency conditions is not obliged to put the vehicles emergency lighting on.
In other words, Police can break the speed limit etc without blue lights on if responding to priority traffic.

HOWEVER! A police driver has to use the vehicles emergency lighting when approaching anyone else on the road to warn of their proximity and intentions.

Hope that clears it up a little.

And to comment on the other posts about general standards: I do tend to agree in most circumstances. You have to however remember that to be able to drive a Police car some officers will only take a 30 min to 1 hour test to enable them to use a car. They will not be able to respond to jobs or use the vehicle lighting. Chances are peoples bad experiences of Police driving were carried out by these officers who havent been properly trained.

To be able to respond to jobs under "blue lights" I took a two week standard driving course followed by a three week Response course. Later I then had a week on a skidpan, a pursuit introduction course of three days and a pursuit management course of another three weeks along with the advanced driving course of two weeks.
I also have to be reassessed for my emergency driving every year.

Sorry about the Essay

My mates a copper, his driving is useless. Just because he gets in a cop car it isn't going to get any better. They're not magic boxes.

The basic police driving test is really no different to the normal L-test.

The Class 1 license holders, instructors and examiners are superb but some still seem to be susceptible to the red mist syndrome.