Less Police patrols = worse driving?

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Do fewer police patrol cars on the road mean that driving has got worse and that standards are dropping?

Why do some drivers drop to a crawl when they pass a camera? No-one seems to do the posted limit when going through a speed check area I guess just in case the speedo is wrong or perhaps it's just paranoia?

Do speed cameras make the roads safer? Will you drive differently if you are near a police patrol car or speed camera?

There are stats to prove "road safety cameras" do make their stretches of road safer (for the most part). However it's not the cameras that annoy me, it's the drivers who slow down when they weren't even speeding in the first place.

I see you point about maybe a speedo is over/under reading, but if said driver is already cruising at, what they believe to be, the speed limit why do they slow down? Is it they are not aware of their speed? Are they not aware of the speed limit? They certainly aren't aware that by slowing down in front of me they have reduced my braking distance, which causes me to slow (if i can't just overtake), which reduces the braking distance of the driver behind me, causing them to slow down etc etc etc. This causes the snaking effect. Which is annoying. It's been shown that if everyone drove at the same speed, everyone would be able to drive at the same speed and the snaking wouldn't happen.

Sorry, I appear to have gone off topic a little there with a sideways rant. What were you talking about?

I remember in the States there was a lot of coverage given to the fact that insurance companis were donating speed cameras to the cops so they could reap the benefit in increased premiums when motorists got nabbed. Without going and Googling it I wouldn't know about the stats as to whether speed cameras reduce accidents but there was a lot of "facts" being bandied about that they didn't and this was a pure money making exercise by the insurance companies..

This annoys me. It annoys me as much when people try to drive through me though (for instance) on the M62 when the matrix signs are up and they say 60 or 50 etc and people are trying to nudge me faster, the signs are there, the cameras are active. Stop it!