Parking on a junction

thexav

Pro Tuner
Staff member
Car
2002 Clio 172
There is a guy round the corner from me who insists on parking a large white van right on the corner by the junction and it makes it impossible to pull out safely.

Is he doing something Illegal and who should I report him to.

I was pretty sure this was illegal, and I'm sure there's a Highway Code ruling about how far from a junction you should park, but this 'catch-all' should be enough from the Highway Code website.

You MUST NOT leave your vehicle or trailer in a dangerous position or where it causes any unnecessary obstruction of the road.

[Laws RTA 1988, sect 22 & CUR reg 103]

I'm assuming that having your view blocked is an 'obstruction'. Trouble is, people tend to see the lack of any yellow lines as a go-ahead to park where they like these days. I'm guessing he's also blocking pedestrian access to crossing the road too.

I think it'll depend on your local conditions as to who you report them to. We've got local parking enforcement wardens - I'm sure they'd love to photograph him and have him 'done'.

Post script - just found what I was looking for!

"DO NOT stop or park

* opposite or within 10 metres (32 feet) of a junction, except in an authorised parking space"

That last bit is really annoying - it's OK for councils to mark out parking spaces within 32 feet of a junction when it suits them and they can charge residents for a Controlled Parking Zone permit (no I don't live in one). Richmond bring theirs to about 10 feet from the corner when they feel like it.

Of course, if they just painted double yellows around every corner for the first 32 feet, then it would all be so much simpler.

Last edited:
Yes as Chris says it is illegal and your local parking enforcent people are almost certianly the place to go to complain. The police will probably just tell you that parking enforcement is dealt with by the local authority.

I agree that Yellow lines should be added to deter this and yes it is crazy that councils can Designate parking in these dangerous areas.

I agree that Yellow lines should be added to deter this and yes it is crazy that councils can Designate parking in these dangerous areas.

I guess I'm arguing against myself really, but adding yet more street markings might not be the way ahead.

Look at yellow box junctions for example. It always WAS illegal to enter a crossroads area without checking that your exit was clear, but nowadays, thanks to the cross hatching, every Tom Dick and Harry think it's OK to block unmarked junctions merely 'cos they ain't got no yeller lines, innit'.

Apologies if I'm starting to sound a bit nerdy and jobsworth but I'm a cycling instructor by day and planet-fouling sea-level raising b*****d by night (oh yes and at weekends!). Nothing focuses you to the dangers of other people being inconsiderate better than having to be your 'own crumple-zone' with only your beer-gut for an airbag.

Wow I'm wrench pro - although wench pro would be nice.

30 posts already! You're doing well chris! ;)

I'd like to see fewer road markings and more common sense but I'm sure that would be asking too much.

Unfortunately common sense is very rarely found in most road users these days. Drivers often park in stupid places and pull out on you after hesitating up until the last moment. I had to really test my brakes on the motorway last week as some moron decided to pull out in front of me whilst I was in the fast lane!

Dont even get me going on the disabled badge so i do own the road people!!!!:evil::evil:

This is an older driver's speciality.

Ooooo, you are awful.

Not just the reserve of us wrinklies. There are a lot of young d***h**ds out there without a clue, but think that they know everything (I am sure that none subscribe to this forum).

Unfortunately common sense is very rarely found in most road users these days. Drivers often park in stupid places and pull out on you after hesitating up until the last moment. I had to really test my brakes on the motorway last week as some moron decided to pull out in front of me whilst I was in the fast lane!

Fast lane? No such animal :)

Ooooo, you are awful.

Not just the reserve of us wrinklies. There are a lot of young d***h**ds out there without a clue, but think that they know everything (I am sure that none subscribe to this forum).

I know, I'm horrible, am I not?

I should indeed have prefaced that comment in such a way that it clearly excludes TQ members.

I agree, there really isn't a pattern, it's just inattentive drivers who do daft things regardless of their age or gender.

Like parking at the side of the narrow road and being COMPLETELY unaware that there's a car already parked opposite. They have now blocked the road!!

It's worrying that the level of perception and observation is so low because I really don't think many of them are arrogant or offensive people. Yet I wonder if they might become offensive if the error of their respective ways was brough to their attention.

Going back to the original post it is not illegal to park on a junction.

However on the grounds of safety the local authority may wish to install a parking restriction to prevent this if they are informed of the problem.

No such thing as the fast lane :)

All lanes other than the nearside are classed as overtaking lanes.

I dont know if this is just me that hates this but i also cant stand it when people on housing estates will park right opposite a small junction creating havoc for people especially when youve got two cars coming either way and one trying to get out of the junction.