Painting the garage floor?

Yugguy

Torque King
Car
Merc C220Cdi Elegan
Howdo all.

I've bought myself some epoxy resin floor paint, as my garage floor is badly cured dusty concrete.

Should I give it a skim coat of PVA solution first, or will the epoxy paint be enough?

If the concrete is old and dusty:

Jet wash
Let dry
Vacuum
Diluted PVA
Epoxy

Is how I would do it :)

Last edited:
Cheers OG.

I'll go for that then.

I need to put something on the bottom of the shutter doors and at the top of the side doors too to stop rubbish blowing in, I am thinking foam pipe lagging, it's cheap and light so the shutter door springs will still be ok.

If the foam pipe lagging is allowed to touch the floor then it will have a short life. How big is the gap that you have to fill? You might do better buying the industrial drought excluder on a strip. It is very similar to some of the domestic versions on offer i.e. a solid rubber strip or nylon brushes attached to a metal strip. If memory serves me correctly, there is not that much difference in price but it's life span is greatly improved in inclement weather. ;)

Howdo all.

I've bought myself some epoxy resin floor paint, as my garage floor is badly cured dusty concrete.

Should I give it a skim coat of PVA solution first, or will the epoxy paint be enough?

I would be all for OG's method BUT when all else fails follow directions on the tin which is most likely OG's :D

As a painter I personally wouldn't use pva on a concrete floor! Pva is a great sealer but reduces adhesion
Here's what I do/use on the garage floors I'm painting atm

Scrape the floor free of snots/lose material
Sweep the floor
Use a acid etch solution (diluted to manufacturers recommendations) leave for an hour
Jet wash or hose and brush the acid off
Leave for 24 hrs
Most epoxy paints don't need a sealer/stabiliser coat just a thinned down first coat leave 24 hrs
Then apply a neat top coat

Hope this helps!

Just remembered because your floor isn't new I'd give the floor a decrease and any prominent oil stains give a good scrub before the acid etch