Car painting.

rdp50734

Torque Junkie
Car
skoda fabia 1.4tdi
Hi, I have an FTO that is my project car. I have been learning a lot about the mechanics of it which is why I bought it in the first place.

As it has turned 21 years old this week the paintwork isn't great, so as a thought to increase my knowledge and skills I have decided to respray the car.

I tried rattle cans (on spare panels) and to be honest it has turned out pretty good.

I do have a compressor and can pick up a spray gun. So I think I am going to go for it.

However I do have a few questions I hope someone can answer.....

What paint to use, there is cellulose, synthetic and water based, I wanted to stay away from 2 pack due to the isocyanates and the fact that I will be knocking up a makeshift paint booth. (Timber frame plastic lined).

I have an air fed mask from work :)

I know a lot of people don't like matt black or satin but I quite fancy it.

The car is currently black and I want to keep it a type of black. :)

Attachments

• DSC_0030.JPG
    DSC_0030.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 1
Water based will dissolve under bird lime so is not a good option IMO.

Are you any further along with your deliberations in this? I'm looking forward to seeing your finished car.

Well, due to the vast amount of info out there, I spoke to a paint retailer.

They really recommended 2 pack iso but I didn't want to use it as its bad for your health and the environment.

So they recommended a synthetic which I did do a spare door and a spare wing. It had sanded fine and my spraying wasn't too bad if I say so myself.

But, when offered up to the car, matt black did not look right at all.

So I have been back in talks with them, and they recommend using the same paint as before X08 which is a pearl solvent based paint using 1 K lacquer or 2K but the lacquer requires a hardener to set (more work).

I am off today to pick the paint up, sand down the spare bits and repaint them.

See how it turns out and progress from there.

Really I should post a before and after. I'll take a few shots today. :)