Paint Correction and Detailing - Nick's (faze932) VTS

Freddie

Road Burner
So I owed Nick a favour, and he decided to text me and call in that favour on Monday night, while I was out on a mash-up. Cheers Nick :wink: Only kidding, I was excited about what would be my first real attempt at paint correction on a whole car. (I didn't tell Nick this :twisted: , but after seeing the results, I'm sure he wont care!)

So I woke up at the crack of dawn (around nine-ish), packed my stuff up and headed over to Eurospec 2000, where Nick helps out part-time.

This is what greeted me when I got there.

My appologies for the picture quality, the light was making it very hard.

DSCF2964.jpg

DSCF2962.jpg

DSCF2954.jpg

DSCF2953.jpg

DSCF2952.jpg

This arch was a mess, I hoped to make it look a little better by later on.
DSCF2959.jpg

On to the wash. I loaded up my SuperSpray with some Maxi Suds II and blew my load all over the car. Noice. Left the suds for a couple of mins and rinsed off with the jetwash.
DSCF2971.jpg

DSCF2972.jpg

DSCF2973.jpg

Then I cleaned the car using the two bucket method. A cotton washmitt for the wheels, lambswool for the paint.
DSCF2977.jpg

The water from the dirty 'rinse' bucket.
DSCF2979.jpg

The water from the clean 'wash' bucket.
DSCF2981.jpg

Looking a little better.
DSCF2982.jpg

We rolled the car into the garage where we'd be working.
DSCF3058.jpg

Clayed, taped up, and ready to rock 'n' roll.
DSCF2992.jpg

DSCF3040.jpg

DSCF3009.jpg

First I inspected that arch under the lamp.. It looked nasty; the scratches in the laquer (swirls and scuffs) would probably come out. The paint was taken back right to the plastic however.. Lets see what we can do.
DSCF3000.jpg

Out came the PorterCable with a 4" spot pad and some Menzerna power gloss.
DSCF3001.jpg

This did help, but took a lot longer than I expected. The paint seemed alot tougher than I imagined. A similar technique was used on the rest of the car, with a larger pad. Lots of lube (quick detailer), power gloss and slow cutting motions with plenty of pressure.
DSCF3066.jpg

This was followed by a faster, lighter pressure technique with a different pad and some less abraisive polish, to remove and micro marring the power gloss left.

I also noticed that the bonnet had been resprayed (I'm 90% sure). The colour match was good, but the laquer had no shine to it and there were several defects under the paint.

The time was getting on now and the pictures stopped! Nick arsed about and I cracked on! Here are the best half and half shots I got. The door has not been done, the wing has.

DSCF3050.jpg

DSCF3049.jpg

DSCF3051.jpg

I wasn't 100% happy, but Nick seemed chuffed.. It would have taken quite alot more work to remove the last swirls, so I steamed on with the same method I used used before.

The paint was then sealed with a Menzerna sealant, and topped off with some ClearKote Moose Wax. A glaze layer would have made all the difference, but I didn't have any with me. The tyres were hit twice with Megs Enurance Gel, as they were pretty shabby.. And the trim was done with Chemical Guys New Look Trim Gel.

Unfortunately by this time is was dark and raining hard. Indoor shots only I'm afraid!

DSCF3133.jpg

DSCF3120.jpg

DSCF3115.jpg

That arch came out a lot better!
DSCF3108.jpg

DSCF3107.jpg

DSCF3106.jpg

DSCF3105.jpg

DSCF3101.jpg

DSCF3095.jpg

DSCF3094.jpg

DSCF3093.jpg

DSCF3088.jpg

The respray left the reflections in the bonnet pretty weak.
DSCF3076.jpg

DSCF3068.jpg

While I worked hard, Nick twatted around in a Cherry Picker!

DSCF3037.jpg

DSCF3031.jpg

DSCF3029.jpg

DSCF3027.jpg

DSCF3026.jpg

Thanks for reading,

Regards,

Freddie.

Really nice job, great write up and you have taken some fantastic pics. Excellent stuff - thanks for posting it up.

What your hourly rate then?