Overtaking getting harder

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
I notice that I'm not overtaking cars as much as I used to. I'm pretty sure it's not because I'm getting older and more careful!

Rather it seems to be down to road designs and markings make it harder and the general increase in traffic also reduced the chance to overtake!

Why is overtaking seen as dangerous and antisocial? Being stuck behind a car pootling along without a clue is far more risky IMO!

i dont over take anywere near as much as i used to

i was always in the out side lane now i am in the inside lane
might be the cars that i am driving i dont know but i have slowed down anyway
must be getting old lol

If I was to say what the reason was I might not overtake so much.....I would guess there are 2

1st There is alot more cars on the roads and sometimes you just dont get the oppotunity.

2nd I am not such a tit like I use to be :bigsmile:

But get me on a dual carriage way and not a lot goes past me :amuse:

Last edited by a moderator:
In Febuary, it became much easier for me to overtake!!! lol :bigsmile:

Do you think it could be down to the number of drivers on the roads.

There is more and more drivers each year, and more and more cars. Because of this, overtaking is harder.

Overtaking should not be seen as a dangerous activity. As long as you can see the coast is clear, you know what speed you are doing, what speed you can accelarate to and your breaking distance and your escape route (when overtaking 2 or more cars, make sure there is enough gap inbetween them to pull into) then overtaking should be as safe as driving normaly.

I overtake quite a-lot. I didn't used to, but as I've got older and my cars have got quicker I have started doing it more and more - it's quite enjoyable actually. Gives me something to do, picking out the gaps, reading the road ahead and going for it.

Don't get me wrong, I am no nutter and there have been many times with my mate in the passenger seat when he swears blind there was enough of a gap to 'go for it', but I am not into risking it.

I overtake quite a-lot. I didn't used to, but as I've got older and my cars have got quicker I have started doing it more and more - it's quite enjoyable actually. Gives me something to do, picking out the gaps, reading the road ahead and going for it.

Don't get me wrong, I am no nutter and there have been many times with my mate in the passenger seat when he swears blind there was enough of a gap to 'go for it', but I am not into risking it.

But you've got about 600bhp under your right foot which does simplify things somewhat.

Maybe you can ask someone's advice for a good remapper for your car Rob! :lol::lol::lol:

lol - funny man. Mines remapped, but unfortunately 600bhp wasn't achievable without some form of miracle!!

Maybe i'll practice overtaking once the Milltek exhaust rolls up next week :lol:

lol - funny man. Mines remapped, but unfortunately 600bhp wasn't achievable without some form of miracle!!

Maybe i'll practice overtaking once the Milltek exhaust rolls up next week :lol:

Lol, Milltek eh! would be very interested to hear your feedback on the plus and minus of this system Rob when it is fitted! Good luck with it :bigsmile:

Lol, Milltek eh! would be very interested to hear your feedback on the plus and minus of this system Rob when it is fitted! Good luck with it :bigsmile:

I'm hoping the plus will be, more noise and more power... the minus being it'll annoy the neighbours a bit at 7am.

I'm hoping the plus will be, more noise and more power... the minus being it'll annoy the neighbours a bit at 7am.

I know what your saying about the neighbours! but as my old dad use to say to us when he was leaving for work on a Sunday morning, If I'm up, then everybody should be up! :lol:

Noise .....Oooh yes (as Churchil would say) power? A little maybe, but probably only overe about 3000rpm

Not a problem. The power doesn't really kick on the RS4 V8 until the magic 5500rpm. It's party piece is 5500rpm > 8500rpm.

8500rpm at 6.45am. I'm glad you're not living next door to me. In fact, you should be grateful for exactly the same thing. We'd have to have words I think.

I get 275lb-ft of torque at the wheels at 2000 rpm :)

Still, I shouldn't have got my muffler removed, mine sounds like a Group B Audi Quattro.

8500rpm in an RS4 sounds like an ideal way to get your energy levels up first thing on a morning!

8500rpm in an RS4 sounds like an ideal way to get your energy levels up first thing on a morning!

not me! (and i would have pressumed you would be the same:confused:)
i like the low down torque i get!!! much more less effort than having to rev my engine to get the best out of it!!!

not me! (and i would have pressumed you would be the same:confused:)
i like the low down torque i get!!! much more less effort than having to rev my engine to get the best out of it!!!

I have to agree... as much fun as 8000rpm there's something deeply satisfying about planting your foot at 1500rpm and feeling the surge build into a tidal wave of torque.

I also get 100bhp at the wheels at 2000 so I could probably beat a 1.6 without exceeding 2500 rpm - it's just so lazy it's right somehow.

I like the T5 it's like a turbo diesel that revs to 6500 and makes the right noises.

Last edited:
I have to agree... as much fun as 8000rpm there's something deeply satisfying about planting your foot at 1500rpm and feeling the surge build into a tidal wave of torque.

I also get 100bhp at the wheels at 2000 so I could probably beat a 1.6 without exceeding 2500 rpm - it's just so lazy it's right somehow.

I like the T5 it's like a turbo diesel that revs to 6500 and makes the right noises.

it is a nice engine, I've been in a focus st with that engine in,

very smooth, and very quick,

any gear, any revs and boom!

it is a nice engine, I've been in a focus st with that engine in,

very smooth, and very quick,

any gear, any revs and boom!

Stage 3 with a downpipe, remap, and uprated FMIC, Forge BOV etc... is night and day to stock.

Mine used to do 50-70 in 4.5 in 3rd, does it in 3.0 now.

Is a great engine - as long as you don't mind frequent trips to the petrol station.

frequent trips to the petrol coral is every drivers nightmare i think £££'s going out of the exhaust. lol.
but on the plus side, means driving fun more often with the frequent trips, balances it out imo. ;)

In which gear? Torque is a force and gear ratios are totally relevant. Gears are rev/torque - dividers/multipliers.

I think what you're saying is that with overall gearing and mechanical losses considered that your car is delivering 275lbft at the flywheel.

Which is very good indeed.

Therefore in 1st gear you are probably getting more like 1000lbft at the wheels.

In which gear? Torque is a force and gear ratios are totally relevant. Gears are rev/torque - dividers/multipliers.

I think what you're saying is that with overall gearing and mechanical losses considered that your car is delivering 275lbft at the flywheel.

Which is very good indeed.

Therefore in 1st gear you are probably getting more like 1000lbft at the wheels.

275lb-ft at the wheels at 2000rpm (which is 105bhp) no compensation factors, estimations etc... just what's laid down at the wheels and measured by the rollers.

dyno run was done in 4th gear - which would equate to 50mph @ 2000rpm, which for most cars is closest to a 1:1 drive ratio.

If you assume a 10% loss that would mean 302lb-ft at the crank.

Last edited:
275lb-ft at the wheels at 2000rpm (which is 105bhp) no compensation factors, estimations etc... just what's laid down at the wheels and measured by the rollers.

dyno run was done in 4th gear - which would equate to 50mph @ 2000rpm, which for most cars is closest to a 1:1 drive ratio.

If you assume a 10% loss that would mean 302lb-ft at the crank.

That sounds about right. It's a good figure for a relatively small petrol engine as well.

Gearboxes simply exchange revs for torque or vice versa. The overall power in the system remains the same.

have you had it remapped so you get the cracks and bangs on the overrun too ? ;)

Milltek sounds a bit soft - didn't you consider a De-cat with a straight thru pipe ? :D

It crackles a bit on over-run anyway, not hugely though. Milltek is soft, but to be fair, I don't want it to be "mad" I use the car daily.

Does your car have separate exhaust systems for each cylinder bank?

Yup, it does. They join at one point in the middle and then split out again, but Audi technical documentation says that while its a single piece unit in the middle the exhaust gasses are kept separate within the unit.

I believe the Milltek system just uses two separate smaller silencers instead.

The W8 was setup exactly the same from factory. Two seperate systems but with the two centre silencers housed within one metal casing.

Yup, it does. They join at one point in the middle and then split out again, but Audi technical documentation says that while its a single piece unit in the middle the exhaust gasses are kept separate within the unit.

I believe the Milltek system just uses two separate smaller silencers instead.

The W8 was setup exactly the same from factory. Two seperate systems but with the two centre silencers housed within one metal casing.

So you should get that lovely binaural bark under firm acceleration then if they exit opposite sides of the body.

I wonder why they combined the two centre boxes. Nothing, of course, to do with the cost of having to replace the whole lump in the case of grounding one of them I suppose.