Torque Cars

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.

Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

New road tax flat rate. Thoughts?

Discussion in 'General car Chat' started by Rudders666, 19 January 2017.

1. Rudders666

Rudders666 Torque Master

West Yorkshire
    Car:
    Ford Focus ST300+
    Hi all,

Just wondered what peoples thoughts were on the new tax rate that's coming in at the start of April.
    If you buy a new car after said date you'll pay it's first years tax, depending on emissions, after which it will fall to a flat rate of £140 for everyone regardless of emissions.
    Thinking about tempting the wife to buy a new car before it comes in. It doesn't do her any favours because her Fiesta 1.25 will go from £30/annually to £140/annually. Mine however will go from £210/annually down to £140/annually, which works out fine for me.
    As an added bonus, if you go and buy a £40k+ vehicle you'll pay your first years tax(based on emissions)+VED(£140) for the first FIVE years of ownership!

Thoughts?

2. Lunchmoney

Lunchmoney Road Burner

Bournemouth
    Car:
    '98 JDM Impreza STI
    The new VED rate only affects cars registered after 1 April '17. So your old car's tax is not going to change.

Won't affect me or mine for a long time.

I can understand why it was done - money. With more and more people buying low emissions cars the government was getting less money in for the VED. This way everyone pays (except full electric and hydrogen cars).

3. Rudders666

Rudders666 Torque Master

West Yorkshire
    Car:
    Ford Focus ST300+
    "It's important to emphasise that these tax changes do not apply retrospectively so only new cars bought after April 2017 will be taxed under the new system."
    My bad, I didn't see this part of the document. Oh well

4. T9 man

T9 man TC Pro Founder Moderator

London, UK
    Car:
    Saab 9-3SS T9
    No problem and thanks for letting us know buddy |B

5. obi_waynne

obi_waynne Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Deal, Kent UK
    Car:
    A3 2.0 TDI
    It's not the first time road tax has changed. They seem to want to keep the average income levels up and as people move to the lower tax bands they move the goalposts to keep them paying more.

It could mean that the prices of the low tax vehicles remain quite high though which is a bonus if you happen to own one.