New road tax flat rate. Thoughts?

Rudders666

Torque Master
Car
Ford Focus ST300+
Hi all,

Just wondered what peoples thoughts were on the new tax rate that's coming in at the start of April.
If you buy a new car after said date you'll pay it's first years tax, depending on emissions, after which it will fall to a flat rate of £140 for everyone regardless of emissions.
Thinking about tempting the wife to buy a new car before it comes in. It doesn't do her any favours because her Fiesta 1.25 will go from £30/annually to £140/annually. Mine however will go from £210/annually down to £140/annually, which works out fine for me.
As an added bonus, if you go and buy a £40k+ vehicle you'll pay your first years tax(based on emissions)+VED(£140) for the first FIVE years of ownership!

Thoughts?

The new VED rate only affects cars registered after 1 April '17. So your old car's tax is not going to change.

Thoughts?
Won't affect me or mine for a long time.

I can understand why it was done - money. With more and more people buying low emissions cars the government was getting less money in for the VED. This way everyone pays (except full electric and hydrogen cars).

The new VED rate only affects cars registered after 1 April '17. So your old car's tax is not going to change.

"It's important to emphasise that these tax changes do not apply retrospectively so only new cars bought after April 2017 will be taxed under the new system."
My bad, I didn't see this part of the document. Oh well

"It's important to emphasise that these tax changes do not apply retrospectively so only new cars bought after April 2017 will be taxed under the new system."
My bad, I didn't see this part of the document. Oh well

No problem and thanks for letting us know buddy |B

It's not the first time road tax has changed. They seem to want to keep the average income levels up and as people move to the lower tax bands they move the goalposts to keep them paying more.

It could mean that the prices of the low tax vehicles remain quite high though which is a bonus if you happen to own one.