Man fined for blowing his nose.

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Talk about a Police state. A man parked at lights with the handbrake off has been issued a fixed penalty for "not being in full control of his vehicle!"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8486842.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgow_and_west/8484978.stm

This sort of thing makes me really mad! Surely the Police should use their initiative in these matters!

With that recent ruling he won't be able to fully recover his legal fees either!

I say us motorists need to stand together.

Comments?

I think the problem comes from this silly engine running rule. If the engine is running you are driving so use of a mobile phone, blowing your nose or anything else is classed as dangerous driving.

I think the problem comes from this silly engine running rule. If the engine is running you are driving so use of a mobile phone, blowing your nose or anything else is classed as dangerous driving.

So if we all drove Prius Hybrid's then we'd be ok at the lights to use our phones and blow our noses.;)

So if we all drove Prius Hybrid's then we'd be ok at the lights to use our phones and blow our noses.;)
good question!!
but its not just the prius my mate has this on his mini and the mrs has it on her yaris im sure lots of other motors have it 2;)

you are classed as parked if the handbrake is on. so really he could get away with it if there is no proof that the handbrake was off

If that is the case, and I do believe you're correct, then perhaps you can drive about with 23 pints of Holsten Pils inside you whilst making and receiving phone calls so long as you keep the handbrake up 1 or 2 notches because the car will technically be parked !!

This country is run by morons.

you might be still classed as technically parked, but it is luckily still an offence to be drunk in charge of a vehicle, even if the vehicle is parked up, engine off. if you are inside with the keys, you could get in trouble.

The law gets pretty stern when it comes to alcohol and cars, just to be on the safe side, dont go near your car while boozed up.

its a stupid ruling - "you are convicted of attempting to instigate a biological attack on a public highway while driving dangerously, and attempting to inhibit the course of justice" - :blink:

whatever next ?

This is stupid. The officer who issued that ticket needs a talking to. He probably wasnt a traffic officer, who probably having a bad day and decided to ruin someone elses.

I think its unfair to dub the Police useless as a whole due to the few idiots who wear the uniform. I never issue fixed penalties for anything other than speeding (and even most are extreme cases) and mobile phone use while driving (and thats only because its down right dangerous and ive been to several Fatacs where someone involved was either talking or texting on the phone)

Im always polite and remain calm. No one likes to be spoken down to by a copper, especially when they are in the s***

From what i've heard on local radio this officer is notorious for issuing frivolous tickets. (but hey local radio is a vacuous waste of nothing and gossip!:D)

People like him give the force a really bad name as you say Betrum, he should be put on a desk job for a bit till he learns to take a more reasonable approach.

Will it be up to the CPS to decide if this should go to court or will it just go to court anyway and left upto a judge to decide what to do?

is there such a charge as wasting court time ?
most police around here arnt to bad the now it mainly the new ones to the station that want to make a mark

Will it be up to the CPS to decide if this should go to court or will it just go to court anyway and left upto a judge to decide what to do?

I didnt read the bbc article, only what is written on here so im assuming he was given a fixed penalty ticket and not reported. Hopefully the "victim" will appeal the ticket, take it to court whereby the CPS should drop it due to being "not in public interest"

If he was reported, the officer will have to prepare the file and submit it to the courts. In this instance it probably will end up in the courtroom as CPS only decide whether a charge should be made for persons in custody and not roadside reporting. Saying that, any sensible magistrate will throw it out.

is there such a charge as wasting court time ?
most police around here arnt to bad the now it mainly the new ones to the station that want to make a mark

Fraid not. It wouldnt look good to anyone if the courts starting prosecuting police. Its just a waste of money and to to anhyones benefit. Far easier just to drop pointless charges before they get to court.

I suspect that the CPS will do this. This charge is clearly not going to pass the 'public interest test' which the CPS will aplly when deciding whether to prosecute.