Low ratio sport gearbox setup and selection.

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Gearbox – Lower ratios give better acceleration times and lower fuel economy. Six or seven speed boxes are better matched to modern engines. Most street applications are closer 1st and 2nd gear ratios for that off the line 0-60 boost or for the fast exec a lower 2nd and 3rd ratio give improved overtaking flexibility and 30 – 70 mph acceleration with a high 4th and 5th gear to give motorway fuel economy.

Continue reading... or post your comments below on this article.

The Bentley Continental Speed now has an eight speed gearbox, this helps with both acceleration and fuel economy.

Eight speed autos are commonplace now. Torque converters still dominate the luxury segment for their unparalleled smoothness. Lockup clutches on the torque converter are pretty much standard. My 1997 year Primera had a lock up arrangement, as did my BMW 528i. It's a good setup, the driveability is, in my opinion, much sweeter than the DSG style boxes I've sampled.

^^ Indeed Paul, 30+ years ago when I had my old Cortina Mk 1 with a 4 speed manual gearbox, if someone told me that there would be cars built later on that had 8 gears for you to play with; I would have called the nearest hospital to see if all their patients had been accounted for :rofl: