Torque Cars

Limiting power for new drivers

Discussion in 'General car Chat' started by obi_waynne, 14 March 2012.

1. SLEEPER

SLEEPER Pro Tuner

It isnt inexperience it is age (as in mental ). People that start driving at 25 dont have accidents in the first year at the same level as 17 year olds.

The only way to stop 17 year olds from having accidents is to raise the age limit to 18(etc).

2. davalav

davalav Moderator

Essex, England
    Car:
    Mini Cooper S R56

School run mums.

I work in a private school, so the parents are wealthy, and the mothers are dreadful, they sit in entrences waiting for thier kids, they just pull up expecting others to move, ALWAYS on there mobile phone. In one lunchtime I saw 6 ladies in 4x4's on there mobile phones. Yet mens ensurence is higher?

Also, we have fly over in Chelmsford ( those in Essex should know ) and a lady went up it the wrong way and caused a horrific accident. The way it works is, on end is closed to people coming off the dual carrigeway can get into town at a certain time, then that end closes and the other end opens and allows cars onto the dual carrigeway. there are signs CLEARLY stating its either closed or open and She went up it when the dual carrigeway was open. I think she died actually.

Last edited: 16 March 2012
  3. davalav

davalav Moderator

Essex, England
    Car:
    Mini Cooper S R56
    To be honest, I don't think age is the problem. Its inexperience.

When doing lessons I think we need to cover motorway driving and advanced driving techqniues to ensure safe driving. When you pass, you pass with the bare minimum knowledge to drive. If you passed at 28 you'll be as experienced as a 17 year old who has just passed too. Age has no effect on driving knowledge and experience.

4. HDi fun

HDi fun TC ModFather

Buckinghamshire UK
    Car:
    Passat 2.0 TDi
    Age has a massive influence on attitude though and that's the point you've totally overlooked or dismissed.

5. thexav

thexav Pro Tuner Staff Member

Car:
    2002 Clio 172
    What about the physical size of a car, surely smaller cars are safer and easier to handle than larger ones?

I'd also say that insurance costs are so high that most new drivers are already restricted to the sort of cars they can choose to drive quite heavily.

6. davalav

davalav Moderator

Essex, England
    Car:
    Mini Cooper S R56

I guess I am rather mature for my age. All my friends went for 1.4 - 1.6 Fiesta's and I went with a diesel ( mpg value of course ) So I supposed its my opinion. I still think age doesn't matter. Maybe Parents could help out? My mum wouldn't allow me to have a high powered car for a first, the only reason I have a 1.9 D turbo is becuase the insurence is actually very cheap, paired with good milage and as I work almost 35 minutes away it helps. My attitude to driving is probably more mature then my friends as I value money a little better and I have to pay for everything! :p

Would you allow your 17 year old son/daughter to have a 2.0 litre for thier first car, even if you could afford the insurence?

7. SLEEPER

SLEEPER Pro Tuner

Then why did you post this..............
    My attitude to driving is probably more mature then my friends as I value money a little better and I have to pay for everything! :toung:
    and...............
    Would you allow your 17 year old son/daughter to have a 2.0 litre for thier first car, even if you could afford the insurence?

8. davalav

davalav Moderator

Essex, England
    Car:
    Mini Cooper S R56
    What I was saying is.... Age doesn't have an effect on your driving. It's the experience which is more valuable of course. But I also went on to say after having a think, new drivers can techinically drive anything they want if they can afford the insurence... Thats why parents should have an effect on what car there child has first. But if you are 28... then I presume your smart enough to get a suitable car, to get used to driving by your self.

I guess it was a little hypercritical of me, but allowing your son/ daughter to have a high litre/powered car DOESN'T determine the kids maturity.

Hopefully I cleared that up a little...

9. HDi fun

HDi fun TC ModFather

Buckinghamshire UK
    Car:
    Passat 2.0 TDi
    Mate, your attitude is different to most of young drivers' attitudes. I don't consider you to be a specific liability because of what you've said here. Sadly, you're in the minority.

10. Tashini

Tashini Wrench Pro

Wisbech, Norfolk
    Car:
    Honda Prelude
    Actually I disagree. You just hear about the ones that cause the mayhem. Go into any sixth form or college and take a look at the driving styles of the students. These are all young and inexperienced. MOST have a very careful and mature approach to driving. Sadly, like many things in life...the minority who have the bad attitudes are the ones who affect the majority.

11. SLEEPER

SLEEPER Pro Tuner

The phrase ...........if you are 28 I presume you are smart enough...... sums it up

i suppose another way of putting it would be

At 17 or 28 you know if something is wrong or not its just that at 17 you are less likely to worry about it

12. Yugguy

Yugguy Torque King

Rugby (expat Preston lad)
    Car:
    Merc C220Cdi Elegan
    Lol, I'll be 42 in a couple of weeks. These days I view anyone under the age of 30 as a kid.

13. Charliep

Charliep Torque Junkie

Thurrock, UK
    Car:
    Alfa GTV & 33
    You are still young from my point in life.:toung:

14. LPMorgan

LPMorgan Road Burner

leicester, england
    Car:
    none at the moment
    i'm 21 and will be buying a pug 206 1.6 petrol, doesn't mean i'll be driving round like an idiot, yeah i'll be modifying it but it's also gotta be used for the shopping run. not all young drivers are, it's usually the chavs who have most accident due to them thinking "i'm jonny rock mate, innit mate" lol. my cousin who was 24 at the time, crashed his corsa 1.1 several years back, colour coded body kit, interior and exterior neon. proper boy racer and wrote his car off twice. i think the driving test should be like the finnish test..

Last edited: 18 March 2012
  15. LPMorgan

LPMorgan Road Burner

leicester, england
    Car:
    none at the moment
    but women drivers annoy me. always on mobile phones is massive landrovers, don't indicate, doing make up while driving. i've seem more accidents involving women than i have young men, also old people are prone to accidents and scuffs due to reaction time being slower etc... it's £1400 on insurance for me with a 1.6ltr pug 206, it's only £1320 on the same model but 1.4ltr, got my partner to get a quote and hers was only 1200 on the 1.6 lol i was gobsmacked

16. T9 man

T9 man TC Pro Founder Moderator

London, UK
    Car:
    Saab 9-3SS T9
    Sometimes it just seems like there is no justice when it comes to car insurance! :)

17. LPMorgan

LPMorgan Road Burner

leicester, england
    Car:
    none at the moment
    Agreed!! /\

18. SLEEPER

SLEEPER Pro Tuner

Just an observation but if 17 year olds ( and similar) didnt spend so much time having accidents maybe their premiums would be so high.

I appreciate there are many sensible young drivers but there are plenty of sensible skyline drivers (and similar) and we suffer a similar penalty even with an accident free record.