Limiting slow vehicles

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Do you think there should be restrictions placed on slow moving vehicles so they don't use our roads at busy times?

Also should there be minimum speed limits posted on our roads? What are the merits and issues of having such legislation in place?

Well, there is a minimum on Motorways. However, installing one on other roads would be problematic as the exemptions would have to be extensive and enforcement virtually impossible. Besides, do you really want to speed up huge unwieldy vehicles? Restricting farm vehicles to certain hours would increase costs which would have an impact on the food price.

Besides, the police already have powers to deal with slow moving vehicles if they are causing a major problem.

The Highway Code, I believe, states that slow moving vehicles should pull over to let traffic past, this happens around here. Although not law, this rule can be used as evidence.

As an aside, how much would it cost to install yet more signs and posts on every road in the country (you could probably leave them off unsigned 30mph
roads if a blanket minimum was in place for this maximum speed limit) ? I would prefer this money to be spent on repair work as extra monies would certainly not be forthcoming from the Treasury.
Would any minimum speed limit apply to cyclists and horse riders as they are already subject to maximum limits?

Last edited:
They should have a rule that if there is over 10 cars behind them, then they should move over. There is no need for them to hold everyone up.

I find more and more slow moving vehicles are doing this now days any how. Either that, or they see me in there mirror and think

poo.......Lets move out of the way :amuse::lol:

A terrified car owner is more likely to drive slowly, since speed gives a feeling of losing control. With all negatives, slow driving is not always bad. Some roadways are restricted to a very low speed limit, usually for reasons.