Latest Motoring Offence Penalties

aswearing

Torque Master
Car
Micra 160sr
recently the law has changed, as follows:

fines for wreckless/careless/dangerous driving have doubled from 2500 to 5000 pounds

failing to name the driver when protesting innocence of speeding camera violation: now 6 points and 60 quid

and i think there was another...

anyway some penalties as stated now carry 6 points, allowing the young 'uns to lose their license easier.

also a local man who stopped at a red liht and ever so slightly crept past the white line was flashed and ordered to pay the fine and take the points, on his letter his recorded speed was 0mph. while the driver contested ths decision i beleive he has been acquitted as it has been over 6 monthswithout a court summons. (i seem to have my news reading head on today :shock: ) once again proving that certain cameras are unable to distinguish between muppets and innocent drivers who didn't manage to stop quick enough.

Jim said:
failing to name the driver when protesting innocence of speeding camera violation: now 6 points and 60 quid

What does that actually mean?

There used to be a loophole around getting caught by a speeding camera. If your car is insured to be driven by more than one person and you car caught by a speeding camera, who was driving? If you claim you cant remember then they didn't know who to give the points to so you were let off the hook, now if the main driver fails to say who was driving, he gets double the penalty (from £30 and 3 points to £60 and 6pts). 6pts which would be the end of my license (as I'm currently in the first 2 year probation).

If you don't receive the NIP within fourteen days then you're off scott free anyway. Clearly if they have to spend three months trying to find the owner/keeper then the 14 day rule doesn't apply. (Generally they'll leave it there and then because the cost of trying to track you down in order to apply a sixty quid fine is prohibitive.

Ignoring the first letter completely is a good option. It's rarely delivered by anything other than standard post (because to do something different costs more money - pattern emerging here!!!).

There's no better way to wipe the smile from the prosecutor's face in court than asking them to provide proof of the service of the NIP!!

Generally the prosecution retracts the evidence at this point; drops the case and asks the court to record a verdict of there being 'No case to answer.'

That way it's a stalemate and you can't go bleating to the tabloids.

Still best to avoid detection though.