Keeping my car engine clean.

vr1066

Torque Junkie
Hi,

When I bought my car the engine was immaculately clean and I want to keep it that way.

Does anyone have some tips on cleaning the outside of the engine and the surrounding parts?

I don't want to go round wiping it down to find out I’m cleaning off grease/lube that shouldn't be removed.

Any advice would be appreciated even any obvious tips.

cheers in advance.

Dealers pressure wash engines - then leave them to dry out for a few months!!! I really don't recommend using a high pressure washer and would strongly recommend that you keep water away from the electrical bits (ignition coils, leads, ECU etc...)

Short of getting a toothbrush in there I would recommend a product called GUNK. It is a degreasent and sealant - warm up engine spray on - hose down (use watering can if your under a hosepipe ban) then let engine dry off a bit and spray on another coating of GUNK - this will form a barrier that makes cleaning easier next time!

i swear by all autoglym products. get some autoglym engine and machine cleaner, spray onto where you wont to clean and agitate with a small brush then hose off. its a good idea to wrap electricals like the fuse box and alarms etc with some cling film though!

A small toothbrush is ideal for engine detailing, there are also some pretty good new products around.