Keeping a car cool in summer

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
I've avoided parking under trees to keep the car cool. Every time I do it the car gets loads of bird strikes and covered in sticky tree sap.

I find opening all the windows and boot helps drop the stifling temperatures of the car quickly. As does getting in and driving off with the air conditioning on full.

How do you keep your car cool? Are black cars hotter inside than white or silver cars?

Seat and trim colours help, I steer clear of black where possible. I park in the shade when I can and when I get into a hot car I will open the windows to vent and then drive off. I tend to leave the aircon until I need to use it, would rather use the airflow then use gas.

Air con costs me about 5 mpg! It really adds up over a day so I try to avoid it now. Plus that feeling you get when you climb out of a cool car into the full days heat is horrible, this doesn't happen if you drive around with the windows open.

I absolutely hate a car without AC :( Just got my own setup sorted out as it required much TLC from the garage today :)

I have had cars with AC since 1997 (std fitment in the Primera, fairly unusual in that era), would never buy one without. The Passat's system is not as effective as Nissan's, Peugeot's or BMW's in my experience.

The Nissan's setup did cause it to sink a bit more fuel but nothing like 5mpg loss.

Last edited: