Is a 50/50 weight balance best

I quite like the proper 50/50 BMW seem to have it sorted and the Alfa Romeo's with a rear axle diff/gearbox helped achieve this mystical balance.

I don't accept that a true 50/50 weight distribution can be created by tweaking the suspension, you're missing the point of this concept if you think this can be achieved or beneficial.

He isn't saying that 50/50 can be achieved by tweaking the suspension, he is saying that good handling can be achieved by proper suspension set up and not by 50/50. BMW's ads are aimed at the general public who haven't got a clue about how a car works. This reminds me of people who think 20/20 vision is perfect vision as they haven't got a clue as to what these numbers mean.

The McLaren F1 is a pretty good handling car, but has a weight distribution of 42/58 front/rear and this was designed as the best handling car in its class. Could Gordon have been so wrong?

Just checked and the Elan (as built) had a near as dammit 50/50 split. I think mine is going to be nose heavy due to the use of a ship's anchor as an engine :)

He isn't saying that 50/50 can be achieved by tweaking the suspension, he is saying that good handling can be achieved by proper suspension set up and not by 50/50. BMW's ads are aimed at the general public who haven't got a clue about how a car works. This reminds me of people who think 20/20 vision is perfect vision as they haven't got a clue as to what these numbers mean.

The McLaren F1 is a pretty good handling car, but has a weight distribution of 42/58 front/rear and this was designed as the best handling car in its class. Could Gordon have been so wrong?
Sorry, shoul'd have explained that I was thinking more of the people commenting, most seemed to totally miss the whole point of the article.

Achieving 50:50 weight balance by adding mass to the back of the car (as per Alfa) is not the ideal way to do it. As to the merits of 50:50 balance, I can attest to BMWs claims regarding handling.

Now go and drive a Mondeo 2.2 TDCi ST which is arguably nose heavier. Handling? Superb.

There are more exceptions than rules.

At the end of the day you can have a great handling car whether it be nose heavy 50/50/ distributed.
But all this is irrelevant if the driver can only drive quick in a straight line! Basically every workday atm I'm using some nice A roads and everyday I'm guaranteed to get some sort of more expensive car driving up my backside on the straight bits! But come to a bend I keep a constant speed and for some reason the driver behind in the superior car is nowhere to be seen until the next straight where there he is again up my backside:mad:
I'm not trying to make out I'm Colin mcrae but I can drive a standard rover 75 barge more competently than 90% of these idiot driver's in superior cars.

I am constantly surprised when I come across some of my dream cars M3,Porsche,AMG slowing for corners that my hi riding 4x4 sails thru without her indoors grabbing for something to hold onto.

I am constantly surprised when I come across some of my dream cars M3,Porsche,AMG slowing for corners that my hi riding 4x4 sails thru without her indoors grabbing for something to hold onto.

I have a huge chuckle at the same thing Rad. I come off a particular motorway to join another and there are cars away into the distance, I don't even have to slow down as I approach the double bends and I have caught them and past them ridiculously easily ;) I can feel their eyes on me as I sail past, you just know they are wondering "where the Dickens did he come from?" :lol:

Many drivers can only drive quickly in a straight line. When it comes to corners they have no idea how to set the car up, balance the throttle and exit a corner and slow right up.

I do think it's more the driver than the car though but some cars lend themselves to cornering more than others.