Improving driving standards in the UK - HOW

glabus

Torque Junkie
Car
fiesta zetec s1600
Re: Fast lane or overtaking lane

Would you agree with me that the PM ought to look at a scheme whereby drivers take another Test after say 3 yrs? So that standard are kept up and road safety and deaths altered for the good of all.
In closing this Yes I DO agree that the HC needs a radical update. However, until it or some other Laws apply .............

Last edited by a moderator:

If you missed another post of mine (general one) Would you agree with me that the PM ought to look at a scheme whereby drivers take another Test after say 3 yrs? So that standard are kept up and road safety and deaths altered for the good of all.
KB

the problem is i think this would require a 'relevant and realistic' driving test, although would obey the rules stipulated have heard about these written tests and these seem to have some very strange answers, not really a 'real-world' situation.
in any case, its getting so damn expensive as well, the govt are already penalising the driver with so many taxes this would seem like just another tax - unless of course it was free, but lets be realistic, no such thing as a free-lunch.

Hi again!!
I really MUST get on with something else but I like to try to answer ASAP.
Yes there IS much debate and commiteeing that should take place to iron out probs but, my idea was that the whole would bring work to 1000s of unemployed. Would help revitalise the construction Industry as new Test Centres would be needed. Examiners needed, admin & other staff so on and so on. MAYBE, the fact that you needed to be retested in a few years would persuede drivers to keep standards up. In doing so if road deaths were reduced the monies spent there could be re invested in the Tests and might make the Test fees reasonable. I agree that drivers seem to be penalised on all sides but is it right to give a 17 yr old the keys to a Ferrari or Bugatti Veyron so that he can continue to drive (till he kills himself??) until 70 without him needing to take professional tutoring in how to correctly drive them???

KB
Im going away now so any reply will get answer later Thank you lol

think we debated this on here before in some degree. the issue is what restrictions to put on new drivers, and if they are really worthwhile. an idiot in a small engined micra can do more damage than some one who takes care in a Ferrari - very difficult to analyse how to control this??

i think putting new restrictions on new drivers is a waste of time, the already over run police, who by the way i hate but have respect for most of the time, could not enforce too easily. we have insurance for a reason, yes deaths are unfortunate, and nine times out of ten avoidable, but it is enevitable (have never been able to spell tha) that they will occur.

Hi, Yes there IS validity in your comments
some time ago there was a survey done which suggested that there was a 1 in 1500 chance of you being caught for a motoring offence.
Now I can imagine that figure is higher. I have not much experience with PC plod but with a more 'Elite' group I am not able to divulge any details as I am bound by the OSA.
suffice to say that more time seemed to be spent on course than Policing. Naturally I was not privy to inside info!!!
The Police ARE stretched and it seems to be the result of less officers actually out there seeing things and preventing (best) rather than convicting (some) or cleaning up afterwards with no arrests etc. Yes we have Insurance (well some of us do) but it appears that due to the number of claims made annually many (probably young? ) drivers find the premiums too much to pay and so risk apprehension as uninsured or... kill someone! And again yes these are major and quite likely now unsurmountable problems but does that mean we give up the fight? I am sure that you would consider joining CADD if someone you knew or a family member was killed or injured by a drunken driver but action/s AFTER the event/s are not the answer. Since cars became more available to the Hoi Poloi and 0% interest allowed more safer cars onto our roads there has also been more inexperienced driving OR people who want to do handbrake turns, doughnuts , sliding and of course speeding.
to digress slightly... one of my favourite films is MAN WITHOUT A STAR a cowboy with Kirk Douglas In it he does some fancy gun twirling but says that " All that is just show. What you need is to get it out fast and hit what you aim for" That goes for all these trye burning actions. You are NOT a good driver if you can spin the wheels etc etc etc.
Can death and injury be reduced on the roads I sincerely hope that we can try. Keep the debate going . All comments are (usually) valuable..
KB ctions on new drivers is a waste of time, the already over run police, who by the way i hate but have respect for most of the time, could not enforce too easily. we have insurance for a reason, yes deaths are unfortunate, and nine times out of ten avoidable, but it is enevitable (have never been able to spell tha) that they will occur.[/QUOTE]

We have debated this before a few times and I do think that a 10 year retest would help improve driving standards.

Most people seem to think that driving is a right, they fail to appreciate that accidents can happen to them and they take risks from driving whilst tired to driving whilst distracted by an electronic device of some type. I don't think that any amount of driver training will ever educate these people though.

I'm sure the Government would love this idea, as would the DVLA as it would generate a large amount of income.

The problem is, who do you test?

Test 3 years after passing test? Yeah, that could work.

Have to pass it again after turning 21? Yeah, little unfair though.

What about OAP's? I think it should be compulsory to have to pass your test again when you hit 60, as your reactions slow down some what, and the rules of the road WOULD have changed since you passed.

I think they should go towards how bike tests are done for under 21's, but on ALL ages. I am 100% pro big engine cars. I dislike 1L cars, I have got to admit, but, I'm going to be a little hypocritical here. I think, once you pass your test, you should be limited to, say, 80bhp. Then after two years ''probation'' you can drive anything you like. This goes for them who lose there licence as well.

I know this is slightly off topic, but it would help save money on insurance for new drivers.

The other would be voluntary driver training like the IAM but with real insurance and road tax discounts on offer. General driving standards would increase, there would be less demand on the insurers and road taxes will not go into dealing with the aftermath of an RTA.

Hi again everyone.
OK it seems that a few agree with a retest idea?
I am also sure that some (maybe more?) dont
I feel though that a suggestion of a 10yr retest would be a bit overdue!
As I have said before , as an instructor I have seen pupils who have passed their Tests becoming quickly adverse to the Rules & Laws they have recently been taught to obey. I can recall one guy who, obviously had needed a car to take the Test; immediately completely disregarding the speed limit and other Rules as soon as he came away!!!.
Is he dead from his actions on the road? More likely he has killed or injured some other poor bugger who was minding his/her own business. That is the Sods Law of motoring. Can these idiots be trained Quite possibly NO
Can we get together to reduce death & injury I hope so eventually
Will the Govt act on this idea? Well mates I have sent an E mail to the PMs Office some time ago giving brief outline as I did here.
I am considering sending another:
I am writing to thank you for your complete indifference to my last mail!!!!!!
What route can we folow to make people obey (at least to a tolerably level)
Maybe we need to follow the advise of the Sultan of Dubaii in the past.
When asked if his country's Laws were severe and barbaric his reply was: " we dont have a lot of crime"
This country is TOO lenient with all criminals When will a murderer get 2 weeks holiday in Bermuda and £2000 spending money????????
I have been to Court where a driver without a licence was given 3 seperate penalties where points were given. Since those added up to over 9 he couldnt have a licence. So... what would he do? Leave Court go to his car drive away and hope that it was some time before he was caught again (if ever!!??)
I am going to stop this here because I am beginning to get on my soapbox with tales of what I have seen and know as truth and I risk losing everyones' interest!!
Just a point:
I am not sure (but I believe it probably does) about this fact of RTA statistics:
In any RTA the ONLY person added to the lists who is either dead or injured is the DRIVER. Apparently front or rear seat passengers who might be THE ones dead or injured are NOT.
If we relate deaths as 3-5000 per year does that possibly mean that that figure could double or treble if passenger figures were included? and would the public be more concerned if these figures were publicly available?????
Keep the debate and the fight alive

KB

Specifically to Waynne
Hi, Me again!!!!
Firstly, can I ask if YOU are a member of IAM?
My interest is because I have taken Tests with them, ROSPA and Police over the years (quite close together I might add!)
Is true that different Instructors/examiners have their own fads and expectations as to what makes a good/excellent driver.
Advanced driving techniques should be just ONE standard requirement Yes?
But... there are at least these 3 organisations who follow 3 different criteria!
. One other correspondent noted from a reply of mine that he didnt want to comment on any Police driving as he had seen dangerous driving by them!!
He would have. Many of us may have But why?
The answer I assume is because the Police driver/s seen behaving like this are NOT advanced trained. Someone can contradict me if they like (debate!!) but they were probably in a Panda/patrol car (normally an Astra!!??) and their driving skills are no better or worse than yours or mine
Perhaps only the Interceptor drivers should be doing these chases but, as the Police are stretched past limit then it is first to respond
Shutting up now before people start to ignore me

Hi Yugguy
I am not going to give a long diatribe I risk losing everyone to boredom with my continuous writing So... for now
NEVER A TRUER WORD SPOKEN