Ignition lead questions

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
How much effect on the spark does resistance in the ignition leads have?

Since the coils have been moved to the plug end does the quality of the lead have less impact on performance?

Do larger cores,twin cores have lower resistance and better flow of electricity? (In the real world is it negligable.)

Am I right in thinking that old leads either work or they don't?

Attachments

• fto-engine3.jpg
    fto-engine3.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 2
I'll explain the reasons for my copious questions.

I'm writing an article on HT & ignition leads and there are lots of companies offering performance leads and extolling their benefits.

Now I'll admit I know little about electrical conductivity and resistance and just really want to make sure I get all of my facts straight.

I understand that all leads have some resistance, performance leads are sold on the basis that they offer improvements and then there are those leads that claim to amplify the spark as if by magic.

So the more facts and figures you can throw at me the better.

If the plug leads are HT leads then some DC resistance is beneficial. (Conversely, with plug top coils they will not work). It allows the magnetic flux in the coil to collapse to a lower level before the PD is sufficient to overcome the resistance of the plug gap. Once the arc is established, the 1 M ohm plus resistance of the leads becomes negligible. SO resistive leads will enhance ignition performance.

But I don't think there's a magic elixir on offer. Use the leads recommended by the engine maker.