How much more power will you have next year

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
You probably have some mods planned for the next 12 months so how much power do you think your car will be making within the next 12 months?

Is this likely to increase from this level or from your current power level?

When I have the 800cc Sard injectors fitted as the 650's are @87% DC and retuned with the boost wound up a couple of lbs to 22 will see at least 400 hp at the tyres.

When I have the 800cc Sard injectors fitted as the 650's are @87% DC and retuned with the boost wound up a couple of lbs to 22 will see at least 400 hp at the tyres.

Very similar to the Elan which will have, hopefully, 520bhp at the crank. Race fuel will add around 80 to that.

Having a new motor done
Giken 3 litre with fully flowed big valve head .
I am fitting a Garrett 4088R so whatever that turbo can make,

OG best way to answer is....

As most people know I recently bought a well documented tuned 2.8 hks engine which was supposed to have been refreshed and good to go.

It sure went well but after about 400 miles there were a few obvious issues including a few bad oil leaks
I ended up having the motor out and the extended sump off because it was leaking.
turned out it had been patched with plastic metal which was dissapointing but hardly terminal.
Much worse though there was a lining of "paste" in the sump which obviously meant a complete stripdown.
There were so many problems with everything it was easier to just get another engine plus Ive been advised not to use or sell any of the motor (yet)
I cannot give details online as the matter is still being "discussed by representatives"

so i needed to start from scratch and started to look at all options of 2.8s and above (cant go backwards )
I was offered the giken by someone I know and although it cost a few £££s when i sat down and compared the giken price with other options it wasnt actually as bad as it first sounded .It is new and has not been run apart from on a dyno and was to be a spare for his race car .He is now getting a 3.2 or 3.4 stroker so doesnt need a spare 3 litre.
It has has been stripped , checked and rebuilt as it should and i will have photos etc of everything.
Couldnt use the old engines head (issues) so managed to find a really good head cheap (thats relatively of cousre)
So Im not aiming at any power level specifically more a reliable motor but the motor will take silly revs and 1000+bhp.
I will not be going there because the cost of other upgrades just spirals to really stupid numbers
The 4088 came up with the manifold etc at the right price and has been checked and rebalanced.
I told to expect over 700 with a very good spool up and coincidently thats about all my curent gearbox and wallet will take.
When its been dynod there will be a thread

Last edited:
Hence the 850bhp :) Don't know how much she weighs but that number should allow for a pretty quick getaway.

Plastic metal. The last time I used that was on the gearbox casing of a V6 Vectra B.

I hope to have more power this year but possibly less torque as I'm going from diesel to petrol. But we'll see. The 2009-on S60 with the 212bhp 2.4D5 engine looks quite appealing.

Less torque but more revs does amount to the same thing. Provided we don't mean a 0.6 litre engine managing 250bhp but need 45,000rpm or something silly to achieve it. This would get tiresome to drive.

I looked at an earlier D5 before buying this ^&^&^n' Passat. Wish I'd gone with the Volvo now.

We all have made buying decisions that we have come to regret:oops: so look on the bright side and think of all the character building the #*##* VW has given you ;)

Ir was a panic purchase. My wife has epilepsy and I needed a car in a hurry, having had previous car written off by my insurer.

Previous car to this one was damaged in a severe collision in 2009. I was awarded £35,000 by way of compensation.

re the "brick " charachteristics of the volvo estate .
Its probably about the same as my stagea .
Pretty bad but mine is extremely stable at high speeds and much better than a skyline .Not sure why but it is.

Not sure, toying with the idea of yet another hybrid turbo upgrade but to be honest with you all, I am still happy with the current power output. As a lot of my driving is 'stop start in traffic' in and around central London, reliability is paramount.

Having a new motor done
Giken 3 litre with fully flowed big valve head .
I am fitting a Garrett 4088R so whatever that turbo can make,

I had this Turbo in 2003 it will be around the 700bhp mark depending how hard you push it. However is a very very outdated Turbo these days. You need to be looking at the Borg Warner EFR range with up to the minute Technology. We are seeing 600/800rpm earlier spool than you will ever see from a 4088R. A EFR9180 is the same size as a 4088 & in twin scroll format with a suitable manifold we have recently seen 952bhp on 106 ron with a 800rpm better spool. Its called progress & in 2017 the game will change again with a new Borg Range.

Its called progress & in 2017 the game will change again with a new Borg Range.

That's my plan. Get the bloody thing working with the unused but 10 year old tricked out T4, then look at what is available in 2017.

I had this Turbo in 2003 it will be around the 700bhp mark depending how hard you push it. However is a very very outdated Turbo these days. You need to be looking at the Borg Warner EFR range with up to the minute Technology. We are seeing 600/800rpm earlier spool than you will ever see from a 4088R. A EFR9180 is the same size as a 4088 & in twin scroll format with a suitable manifold we have recently seen 952bhp on 106 ron with a 800rpm better spool. Its called progress & in 2017 the game will change again with a new Borg Range.

I wouldnt argue with much of the above but as explained the wallet wouldnt open wide enough for an EFR because if I went for a 9180 Id need a manifold etc and a gearbox upgrade for definate . Thats an absolute minimum of £7K which I dont have spare.
The kit i bought does have a decent twin schroll manifold and wastegate and the down pipe will fit my car with only minimal alterations . Only needs an extra 1 inch of pipe which is the difference between the height of a giken rb30 and a stock RB28/26.
And the kit cost me less than a 9180 and 700 is about the maximum for my stock gearbox.
Also as it is a 3 litre with a worked head it should spool up a twin schroll 4088R quickly enough for the time being.
When I can afford the gearbox upgrade I can and almost certainly will do the turbo swop .Probably to an EFR or possibly a precision .
Either way I can do the swop myself as single turbo swops are pretty straightforward.
And I get to drive it this year

Last edited:
Although we dyno'd 1096 hp last year (not maxed out), the most I got to run at the track was 995hp. That was on the old 3.5L stroker.

Just building a new 4.0L stroker and wonder if we we get to see 1250hp, Owen developed these turbos to do 1200 on the old motor. I might look to some with more poke if not.

The car weighed in at 1254kg last year and we are pulling even more weight out as we speak. It started life at 1720kg!

Hi Steve

Indeed. We are way behind schedule, just had the planning meeting on Friday. Identified a fair bit of weight loss, looking to simplify and tidy wiring by rewiring the whole car, considering options for a new ECU CDi and coil on plug setup, possibly tubular subframes if we have time, maybe lowering the new engine in the engine bay. The engine is about to get built and balanced (I have the stroker rotating assembly), Heads need new valves and guides too. Need to get new head gaskets made to accommodate the larger pyramid rings I will be running due to increased bore size.

The problem is, none of this can happen until the pneumatic paddle shift system is installed and configured, I am waiting for a guy to come down from Scotland for that.

André

Way behind schedule? That rings a bell :)

It's amazing how you can keep finding places to remove weight. I am on an excess weight hunt myself at the moment. I plan to remove quite a bit of fibreglass as the shell no longer contributes to torsional stiffness.

The engine built sounds impressive. Any idea when you will be out?

Would that be David or Stephen from Xoomspeed?