How many pleasure miles do you do?

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
We talk often about business miles but I wonder just how much we think about Pleasure miles.

A pleasure mile is the distance driven purely for the sake of driving. There is no end goal or destination in mind.

Whith this definition in mind how many pleasure miles do you cover per year?

dont go out just driving any more did on the bike but not now

but i call pleasure miles going to shows ect this year i must of done 10k going to shows with or to trans am and yank shows

With Hayley1 on this.

I, too, drive far further than I actually need to. I often lake the very long way home when I fancy a bit of a blat.

PS - Hayley1 - nice picture in 'What do we all look like' - you look like a young Jennifer Aniston.

none at the moment, but from thursday, probably quite a lot, dont really know how many though.

Yeah I always take the long route I love driving round in my car. I shouldn't because of petrol prices, but hey live each day as if its your last and all that!

If we all totalled up the amount of unnecessary miles we've done over the years and divided in to cost of fuel to do those miles it would probably buy each of us a new E Class. Factor in the overall running costs then it might be a big chunk off the mortgage.

But we all still do it. And, why not?

Life is for living, after all.

I could've afforded the gsi i wanted, but either I drank the money away or the astra did :(, oh well.

We're all human and vices aren't such a bad thing. If we were all totally practical then what kind of world would we live in? Sure, it's best not to smoke or drink at all but it's not crime of the century. WE've all got to live a bit.

Is the Astra SXi really thirsty? I suspect yes because I had a new Vectra SRi on loan recently with the 1.8 VVT petrol engine and it struggled to better 24mpg over the week I had it.

It was also tragically underpowered compared to my own car. As a result I found myself using all the revs to get it to go half reasonably. Maybe accounts for the 24mpg average.

Vauxhall quotes 140bhp for the VVT 1.8 motor yet it feels more like 70bhp.

Have I missed something?

Yet my father's 2003 Astra 1.6 8v seems OK. Not quick, but it's bearable.

If we all totalled up the amount of unnecessary miles we've done over the years and divided in to cost of fuel to do those miles it would probably buy each of us a new E Class. Factor in the overall running costs then it might be a big chunk off the mortgage.

But we all still do it. And, why not?

Life is for living, after all.

i agree, but with the bike i have i get about 50 mpg, so it shouldnt be that bad. bout 14 quid to fill up an that gets me about 150 miles(could be wrong, will find out when i get it on thursday ahhhhhh im so impatiant, want it now lol)

Last edited:
If we were all totally practical then what kind of world would we live in?

Well most of us wouldn't be on this type of forum for one thing. Second you would see alot less of the classic cars getting restored or saved from the scap heap and alot less of the new cars on the road.

Dunno even when i do buisness miles, i like to have some fun. went down to cadets tonight just incase anybody turned up ( school holidays plus most are away on camp ) 23miles averaged 26.9 mpg and 5 mins to cool down once i got back to lockerbie

Commuting to work counts as Business miles I suppose. Its essential for you to do your job. Perhaps if you print this post out your boss will subsidise your car PG?

doubt it. after he heay rain here was a couple of large potholes (they were small before hand ) in the road, hes struggling to get money back for a new tyre

sorry missed out a comma in the 1st post should have read

Dunno, even when i do buisness miles, i like to have some fun