How good is your parking?

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
It is really easy to get rusty. How good are you at parking in spaces in car parks - are you a shuffler till you get it right or is it perfect every time?

Can you get into really tight spaces at the side of the road between cars?

My tightest ever sucess - without any bumper nudgings was a 5 inch gap which reuduce to about 1 inch at the steepest angle.

Tip and Guide for newbie/rusty drivers:
Pull up alongside the car (car A) you are parking behind well say this is on the left at the moment. Reverse and when you (as the driver in the car) get level with the middle of Car A steer hard left swinging the back of the car in.

The car behind Car A (The other piece of bread for your parking sandwich) we will refer to as Car C.

When you can see the pavement side headlight of car C in your driver side door mirror straighten up the steering and then quickly move to a right lock pulling the front of your car in. The important thing is placing the BACK wheel of your car in the right place - you can easily shuffle in the front. In a tight space you will typically be in after 3 shuffles a big space (One that is 50cm longer than your car you should get in first time with no shuffling!)

It is helpful to use a windows reflection to see your proximity to the car infront and behind - especially if you are unfamiliar with the car.

Jo's van is easy as it turns on a sixpence, and my car usually goes diagonally across two spaces. Mainly due to its size but also so no one can open their door onto it. If its in a pay and display car par I buy two tickets, one for eache side of the car to keep the attendant happy.

I prefer reverse parking, i seem to be able to judge distances better.

I've seen me driving into a space and needing a taxi to the pavement. I think it because I'm more paranoid of scratching my alloys when I don't reverse.

Im good at parkin but I need to get used too the car. When i borro me dads cars I usually need 2 goes to get it in the space.

What do you do if you see a spaceman?

You park in it man! :lol: