How fast have you driven a car?

RobBentley

The Torque Meister
Car
Audi RS6 C6 Saloon
How fast have you driven a car? What did it feel like? Scary as hell or stable and composed like James May in the Veyron?

I've managed 175, and I must admit the world starts to get a little fuzzy!! I can't imagine what 200+ must look and feel like. One day I hope to find out!

130mph in the Alfa and in both the Punto GT's because that's about all they're capable of! Nowhere near the speeds you've done, I've driven cars capable of 150mph+ but never driven that fast in them due to not having the balls :p

Tell you though, 130mph in a stripped tin can Punto is pretty hair-raising stuff. One mistake and it's definately all over :lol:

I've done 170+ in both the W8 and the R36 and its hairy as hell in the W8. Anywhere near the brakes and it'll dive around a fair bit. The R36 felt like being on some sort of bullet train. You can brake firmly and with great stability and shave huge speeds off without feeling like your going to die.

I'd love to break 200mph, just "cuz", but I can't afford anything that'll do it!

Tell you though, 130mph in a stripped tin can Punto is pretty hair-raising stuff. One mistake and it's definately all over :lol:
I can well imagine. I've done 110 in a Land Rover and that wasn't nice :p

Torque Car's does not endorse violations of the Highway Code, nor violations of Road Traffic Legislation.

RIght then, so how fast have we all driven on de-restricted roads abroad, or on a private track?

Torque Car's does not endorse violations of the Highway Code, nor violations of Road Traffic Legislation.

Just a disclaimer, as I was never suggesting such. Both my speed-runs where done on the unrestricted parts of the 'A4' autobahn towards Koln.

Mine were done on my front drive.
i dont ever post to get my post count up but
8.gif

Nope true speed as I was playing with another car. A Golf Gti turbo it was about 6 or so years ago on an airfield somewhere in Wiltshire where my friends dad used to keep his plane.;)

I imagined that you'd need the V6 Vectra to get a true, rather than an indicated 140mph. Then again, they are quite slippery in aerodynamic terms.

I doubt the 406 with a remap would have quite managed a true 140mph and that was delivering 192bhp.

Last edited:
I always find land speed records to be a bit of an anachronism. The biggest problem with achieving 300mph plus speeds is not in the power delivery - that's relatively easy., it's keeping the bloody vehicle on the ground in the first place!

300mph in an aeroplane is no big deal at all.

I blagged a test drive in a company demo Dodge viper RT10 when i was stationed at 101 proc coy, it had been given all the extras, and was epic amounts of fun to drive.

On the Autobahn just outside of monchengladbach we hit 176mph on the GPS, speedo read 187! Cant say as the salesman was too impressed with my leadfoot, and think i ruined it for the rest of the rmp's there, as after that no one was allowed to actually drive the cars without a hefty deposit!

I know the feeling - we have Turweston aerodrome up the road from here and it's the shortage of road that gets in the way.

That's another good point. Where in the UK can you really go and rack up the big numbers? These aerodromes only ever seem "open" to big shows?

I'd love to hire one just to lark around :amuse:

That's another good point. Where in the UK can you really go and rack up the big numbers? These aerodromes only ever seem "open" to big shows?

Turweston is open to me as I have a client based right in the middle of the airfield and the perimeter road is the only way to gain access :)

70mph in my instructors car :D well a bit more than 70 cause i was feeling frisky but he soon nipped that in the bud.

im the same as ma 130mph (speedo) and that was the day i picked up the leon cruising down the motorway in 6th looked at the speedo i was doing around 80mph 5-10 minuets later looked down again 130mph:amazed: i honestly didnt realize i slowed down straight away!!!

but as a passenger according to the mfd it was 156mph in a cavalier gsi

125MPH Is The Max, never been passed it due to putting ma foot down on a clear road then time you get to 125mph, you've had catched up with other cars and I'll slow down again as I wouldn't like to lose control

Smart Two Car, Flat Out At 76mph haha, people always laughed at me when I was racing Scooby's lol

Bruntingthorpe is hireable.

With regard to how fast, I will update this thread next year :) Hpwever, I doubt I will be able to better MadRod's car.