How do you stay alert?

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
The most dangerous thing for a driver is losing concentration or being distracted.

How do you keep yourself alert whilst driving?

I tend to think out escape routes all the time, imagining if a lorry shot across the juction ahead and what I would do. This seems to keep me alert and hopefully prepared.

There are also a few habits I have taught myself.
  1. I scan mirrors in a regular pattern and I've done this for so long it has become a habit.
  2. I will not move out right without checking over my shoulder again this is a habit now. So this applies on Motorways when overtaking and when pulling out into the road from parked.
I prefer some caffine, cold car and some rock music to help me focus.

Loud music really does help, and winding the window right down so its cold. Oh and removing fluffy dice, vanilla monkey, lovehearts air freshner and me2u bear from mirror so i can see! OJ

I tend to have non-soothing music on, open a window, drink something like Red Bull. I also pretend I'm being followed by someone who wants to kill me, so I'm always ready to take an un-expected turn :p

I will not move out right without checking over my shoulder again this is a habit now. So this applies on Motorways when overtaking and when pulling out into the road from parked.

I've done this ever since I heard that they call looking over your shoulder before pulling out "The life saver" in police driver training. I don't trust mirrors enough to not look...

It certainly saved me from a few very nasty smashes. Even if you have blindspot mirrors a quick glance over the shoulder is still essential.

music on, windows open or airon on 18 degrees. normally feel alert in the car anyway
staying off motorways, and sticking to back twisty roads helps a great deal