Hitting the Rev limiter?

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
How many times in your life (or how frequently) do you hit the rev limiter?

I actually think I've only done this a few times in my life. The last time was on a hairly and badly timed overtake, then suddenly just when I needed it the most the engine splutters on the limiter!

Once bitten twice shy! Plus the fact is it's not too good for your engine to be in the red all the time.

Only a couple of times as well. last one one in the civic when my clutch pedal got jammed under the mat :evil:. i put the clutch down changed lifted my foot and was back on the throttle before i noticed the clutch was still down. bounced for a few seconds before litting off

A couple of times at santa pod, just got the car back from power engineering and it seemed to hit the limiter quicker than before it went in lol... will try and find the video it's on google.video.com i think...

I actually do it quite often. I have a pipercross air filter and cant resist the roar it makes when I take the car to about 5,000 rpm.

I drive my 1.6 fairly fast at times with the induction roarin and I still get a modest 40mpg :) Which im obviously happy with...

40mpg on a spirited drive - Cool. Aren't the police real shockers for speed traps in Wales?

The North Wales Police are speed enforcement obsessed. There's some of the finest roads in the country available there, A487 Penygroes to Porthmadog is brilliant. As is B4418, Talysarn / Nantlle. It's a shame to enforce needlessly low limits.

Last edited:
40mpg on a spirited drive - Cool. Aren't the police real shockers for speed traps in Wales?

Their far from clever as it goes...

The fixed speed cameras are always in clear view and you always have more than enough time to slow down as you pass them.

The mobile camera vans have caught out a few people, such as my mum and a few of my friends but they are usually in well known locations. I think they put the mobile vans on roads that are known for speeding motorists but not sure if the road would benefit from a fixed one.

:lol: But what if you had a car that had one OG?

Remove it. They are only fitted to protect the inexperienced and the manufacturer. I find the round gauge next to the speedo quite useful for keeping engine revs within limits :) Also, as mentioned elsewhere in this thread, the rev limiter can cut in at inopportune moments!

Also, as mentioned elsewhere in this thread, the rev limiter can cut in at inopportune moments!

You are of course at liberty to sort your gear change before commiting to a manoeuvre. THe natural rev limiter will cut in at the wrong time as well. And that one wrecks the engine.

Also, as mentioned elsewhere in this thread, the rev limiter can cut in at inopportune moments!

You are of course at liberty to sort your gear change before commiting to a manoeuvre. THe natural rev limiter will cut in at the wrong time as well. And that one wrecks the engine.

That is why it is fitted, so that faulty natural rev limiters don't damage the engine :)

In 38 years of driving, some of then as a 'boy racer', I have never broken an engine by over-revving. Indeed, there have been a few occasions where a mechanical rev limiter would have resulted in more damage than just a broken engine.

I contend that if you are an enthusiast, build your own engines so know their limitations and trust your experience and skill, mechanical rev limiters are an unecessary restriction. But for the majority, they may save the engine from being damaged. However, as the occasional over-revving won't do any harm (the rev limiter is set quite a way from the failure RPM) you would have to be pretty leaden footed to do any real damage.

Manufacturers do set the limits low to offset warranty claims - who can blame 'em. If you're blueprinting an engine and balancing the whole assembly the agreed OG, you can be a lot braver.

The only thing that they can't mitigate against is a downchange in a standard manual car, say to 2nd at 105mph. But you'd have to use some force to get the lever in against the syncromesh. Quadruple declutching anyone?

The only thing that they can't mitigate against is a downchange in a standard manual car, say to 2nd at 105mph. But you'd have to use some force to get the lever in against the syncromesh. Quadruple declutching anyone?

Fortunately, never tried that :)

Me neither, but some months ago somebody posted on here that this was a sure fire way to defeat the rev limiter. Question is: Why?

It won't do any good because once over the limit the sparks and/or fuel are cut virtually dead.

On the Astra at least, once you are past the rev limiter it no longer kicks in. It is active while revs are below the limit set.

But as you say - why do this?

Quadrouple declutching FYI :- Dip clutch raise clutch dip clutch neutral raise clutch dip clutch move into gear raise clutch, engine goes supernova, dip clutch and then raise clutch Down changes are a reverse of this :lol:.