Buying a car with a speed limiter?

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
If a car was fitted with a speed limiter that forces the car to go at the speed limit of the road you are on would you buy it?
  • What happens if you are overtaking and the car you overtake speeds up?
  • What about accelerating out of danger?
  • If you get a speeding ticket due to a system error will you still be prosecuted?

Will enforced speed limits cause more congestion? Perhaps if it means cars slowing up well before lower speed zones and could clog our road network.

We dont need to help brainless drivers keep their licences. They should be allowed to speed and get banned thus removing them from the food chain!

Time should be spent improving driving standards rather than chasing the premise that speed of any kind is dangerous IMO but what are your thoughts?

You brake and fall back behind.

Accelerating out of danger is a myth. All you do is have a faster crash. If you have time to accelerate out of danger you have time to brake as you can slow down a damn sight faster than you can speed up.

Under today's rules, probably, as it will be down to the driver to make sure they are driving within the limit. If systems are introduced that control vehicle speed independent of the driver then laws will have to be redrawn to accommodate this.

If we are all driving at the same, abeit slower, speed then congestion would reduce due to less stop and start driving and less crashes.

The probelm with allowing people to speed is they are likely to harm other road users before they are banned. Being banned is no guarentee of them not continuing to drive.

The human body is designed to cope with sudden stops up to around 20mph. If all vehicles were restricted to this speed then there would be very few fatalities. Obviously, this is unlikely.

Improving standards is a near impossibility.

Lowering road speed limits would enable vehicles to travel closer together, thus allowing a section of road to carry more traffic. This is proven in practice by the M25 variable speed limit sections which are rigorously enforced with arrays of gantry mounted Gatso cameras ***

I am not sure that having a built in telemetric speed limiter would actually help things, it might encourage drivers to drive to the artifically enforced limit and pay no attention at all to their driving. Though some driver appear to adopt this approach anyway.

*** I am not sure that Gatso type approval was every sought specifically to cover arrays of Gatsos side by side across the width of the carriageway. Another interesting note, possibly a 'defence' might be that the very near proximity of Heathrow Airport's significant radar equipment might lead distortion of speed measurement by the Gatso devices themselves and thus enable you to contest a penalty notice.

If this was to be implemented there would need to be an override of some sort for the driver at the very least. Such as a kick down switch even on manual cars, that switches the speed limiter off for X amount of time so you could accelerate out of trouble.

I still don't like the idea though...

Lot's of cars do have speed limiters under the driver's control and they work exactly that way. Peal fully down and the limiter is disabled.

Yeah my C63 had a speed limiter you could set and full throttle cancelled it until you re-set it. If this forced limiter based on the road speed limit was to become a thing, the same sort of principle has to apply - but no doubt with it re-activating after a time.