Have you ever spun a 180 by accident?

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
How many of us have lost it and done a 180 on a public road without intending to.

I haven't ever done this. I did crash into a bank when i took a corner too quickly but I've always pointed in the right direction.

I have... twice.

Both in the Civic.

First one, I'd just had the rear tyres changed from Tyres to what cna only be described as solid blocks of rubber. Anyway on the way home from work I got to the end of my bypass (Its around 6pm or so) - wasnt really going particularly fast, but the back end slid out wide and I let off the throttle, which span me about 90 degrees beyond the direction I wanted to go.

Second time was in the Civic, same rear tyres but worn in a bit now. Raining pretty badly down the backroads, one particular corner I went round must have been covered in horse poop (Making you think that horses = hazards = should pay road tax, but whatever) - anyway, I turned in, the back end slipped. Giving it some opposite lock I almost enjoyed it for a second or two... then let off the gas, weight hits the front, and spins me totally the other way.

Hurray.

Anyway, I've not span the Golf yet, which is nice. Neither of the two above resulted in any sort of contact, despite the wet, and the poor tyres. The back has stepped out when I've been a bit spirited with the Golf, but the ESP soon kicks it back in. Which is nice.

S'fun, but I dont drive erratically when the traffic is heavy.

If by Accident you mean....

...driving down Tesco car park in the rain at 3am, turning sharply & pulling up the hardbrake...

...Then yes :lol:

not done 180 prob be around 120. picked ma dad up for work one morning and theres a nice sharp corner at the bottom of the hill. very icy so was taking it easy, back end still stepped out thou. managed to keep it undercontrol pretty well i thought. well i didnt hit ether kerb so i was happy.

Happened to me a week ago. Early morning taking my kid to school, road was just getting wet. Took a hard corner at 40 mph. Back wheels lost the grip and I spun. manage to control it without crashing into the lamp post. Luckily the road was empty.

Learned a lesson, never take a 90 degree corner at anything over 30 mph on 4th gear :)

yes i accidently spun 180 once.

happened before when its raining heavily,there was a car infront of me stopped and brake, so i downshift gear from 4th to 2nd gear while step on the brake immediately and the car just spun 180.Luckily its just inches to the road barrier.That time i really felt the car was so light and its just spun 180 in seconds.

i've never done it but one of my mates have with me in the car.
was chasing a mate in a saxo vts. going round a large rounderbout an on the straightish bit (more of a squareish shape with round two sides)exselled to about 70ish as the vts took it about that mebe a bit more. as we took the exit themk2 astra spun 180 :/ pretty lucky that the massive lorry that was coming the other way was able to stop. quite hairy moment

a bit more than 180 450 degrees in my old nova gte this particular incident happened while racing a cav gsi well he slowed down well before the island and i broke late which ended up kicking the back end out which then clipped the curb raised the car in the air and as it landed i span 450 degrees ending up facing the wrong way on the island

stupid i know but i was youthful and still learning to drive properly