Have You Ever Ran A Red light?

Prince

Torque King
Car
BMW E36 318is Coupe
I was sitting there the other night at a junction, with absolutely no traffic anywhere in sight, stuck behind a red light. The thought did cross my mind 'shall I go anyway?'. But, I decided not to just in case. I was just wondering has anyone here under any circumstances ran a red light?

I have to admit. I have but it was changing as i was approaching an i thought i could make it. It turned red just before i pasted the lights. But if i get stuck at tempory lights and nothing is around and also only if i can see the other lights then i'll go through them. But only if there is no one waiting at the other end... I wouldn't ever pull up at fixed traffic lights and go through on red but when i worked in a nightclub on my way home in the car i would be sat waitin at the lights and a taxi would just sail through the red. And i saw that on more than one occasion...

I have done it on temporary road works ones when I absolutely can see that it's safe to do so. AFAIK this is not actually unlawful as temporary lights are not subject to siting surveys, approval etc.

I have also 'taken' the occasional emergency vehicle through them - again you have to be extremely careful. I cannot re-iterate this enough.

alrite mate ye on the m57 cs i didnt even see the lights, the stupid c**nts had them hidden by trees!! now thats a claim in waiting if ever there was one

yeah a couple times only when there was absolutely no traffic around.
I thought a pedestrian crossing light had turned green when it hadn't and i drove off only to my horror to see a cop car 3 cars back on the other side of the road, i dont think they noticed because i never received a letter and they never came after me,
so i had a lucky escape and now i double check the lights and not just presume they've changed and obv not run red lights lol.

I ran one by accident as well. I wasn't concentrating properly and just kept going...luckily it was during a late night return so there was no other traffic about.

jump some round here quite a lot. council fitted new ones to a bridge after the old ones kept cutting out,no lights on ether side. the new ones are even worse as soon as the rain comes on they seem to switch to timers rather than the sensors.
late nights jump them if i cant see any lights coming, im not stopping and waiting for a minute to pass when theres nothing else there. agree with the temporary ones as jump them a lot when theres nothing at the other side and if its while they are working on fixing a manhole cover. basically they could get away without the lights but H&S strikes again

Nearly ran a red light when I was learning I jammed on the anchors and stopped in the middle of the junction.

I have done it on temporary road works ones when I absolutely can see that it's safe to do so. AFAIK this is not actually unlawful as temporary lights are not subject to siting surveys, approval etc.

I have also 'taken' the occasional emergency vehicle through them - again you have to be extremely careful. I cannot re-iterate this enough.

I approve the location and timings of temporary traffic signals as part of my job. I didn't realise I was was wasting my time! :amazed:

im agreeing with HDI ive seen them set up while repairing a kerbstone.Yes they have a safety point for they guys replacing them however when the council workers go away at 4.30 and the lights are left setup over night there going to get jumped

They're definately enforceable. Otherwise what would be the point?

Running a temporary set of traffic signals is just the same as permanent ones.

I'm not judging, just informing!

You tell em Twamgl3 - you see the other side of the arguement. I will stop for temporary lights. I remember waiting for ages (5 minutes plus) on one that had the green and amber bulbs blow - why it stuck on RED I do not know. You would have thought that the red would dissapear and no lights would show! What if it had stuck on Green?!

So that was one occassion I went through a red.

I was sitting there the other night at a junction, with absolutely no traffic anywhere in sight, stuck behind a red light. The thought did cross my mind 'shall I go anyway?'. But, I decided not to just in case. I was just wondering has anyone here under any circumstances ran a red light?
ive run a red light but only the work mens ones and only cuz they had packed up and everyone was just sitting there i thought id just make the first move, then everyone followed suit. i wouldnt risk it normally, noing my luck the cops would be sitting somewhere near without nothing better to do than make my life a misery

yeah a couple times only when there was absolutely no traffic around.
I thought a pedestrian crossing light had turned green when it hadn't and i drove off only to my horror to see a cop car 3 cars back on the other side of the road, i dont think they noticed because i never received a letter and they never came after me,
so i had a lucky escape and now i double check the lights and not just presume they've changed and obv not run red lights lol.

Unless there is admissible photographic evidence the police HAVE to caution you at the roadside and either issue a Fixed Penalty Notice on the spot or advise you that you will be reported for the offence and that they are considering prosecution. They CANNOT just record your number plate and then send out a letter in the way that a fixed camera system can. Often police cars are operated by civilian CSOs who do not have a regular officer's powers to apprehend you at the roadside.

never when red, but a couple of times has turned red from amber as i get into the crossing, so would be a danger if i stopped.

never when it has been red when i approach.

we don't have the temporary ones where i live in the states. most of the time the lights will switch with in about 1 min if you pull up to one without traffic, unless it is during high traffic times. then they aren't working properly, most just start flashing red in all directions. then they are treated as a stop sign. never ran any myself but had a buddy run a few in my car last time i ever let someone borrow it. got 4 tickets from the cameras in one week. good thing they take a photo of the front in cali, showed that i wasn't driving so didn't have to pay