Fuel price hikes due soon

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
With the weakening dollar people are once again investing in Oil and we are seeing massive price hikes in oil.

The knock on effect for us is that petrol/diesel prices will hit an all time high in the coming months.

With VAT raised to 20% and increased fuel duty on top of this come January we will be paying loads for our fuel.

Interestingly the difference between in town and out of town, petrol stations is also at it's widest gap of around 5-7pence! It is reportedly as low as 2p this time last year.

Last edited:
Re: Petrol price hikes due soon

Is this just for petrol or for all road fuels?

I'm hoping that I get some slack having recently gone back to petrol motoring and having paid high diesel prices for the last 6-7 years.

Perhaps they're all out to get ME :)

You're right, it should read fuel. I never use diesel so I refuse to acknowledge it's existance;)

Maybe they are all out to get you.

Re: Petrol price hikes due soon

Is this just for petrol or for all road fuels?

I'm hoping that I get some slack having recently gone back to petrol motoring and having paid high diesel prices for the last 6-7 years.

Perhaps they're all out to get ME :)

been on petrol for about a year now, going back to diesel. the mileage im going to cover (caerphilly to north brum) is going to eat my profits otherwise.

hope the hikes are not as bad as a few years ago paying 125.9 for diesel.

this is same old same old as far as im concerned.
i dont even look at the price anymore, i just stick the nozzle in, fill her up, and hand over my card.
whats the point in whinging about things we have no control over?

because as motorists we are always getting it in the neck.
insurance hikes. fuel price increases, road tax hikes. whatever way the goverment wants it we get it over the bonnet !!!

EXACTLY that! whatever way the government wants it, WE GET IT.
thats end of story right there! so why whinge?

no-one is making us own cars, no one is making us own large engined, tuned cars, no one is making us drive cars on the roads.

if you dont want to pay all those things, then use public transport!

if you do wanna own and drive a car, then im afraid you have no option but to swallow it and get on with life!

EXACTLY that! whatever way the government wants it, WE GET IT.
thats end of story right there! so why whinge?

no-one is making us own cars, no one is making us own large engined, tuned cars, no one is making us drive cars on the roads.

if you dont want to pay all those things, then use public transport!

if you do wanna own and drive a car, then im afraid you have no option but to swallow it and get on with life!

I agree with this most of the way but I do think car owners and drivers are exploited in this country.

The other problem is the lack of public transport in many areas. This one is a good example. I can get a bus into Milton Keynes quite happily from here - it's about 18-20 miles.

But unless I want to turn around and come straight back I'm stuck there until tomorrow for the next bus home!

You could argue that I choose to live in a rural area. I do indeed choose to do so, but surely it's unfair to penalise absolutely everything we choose to do. This is, after all, a democratic state.

Cynically I sometimes wonder if it's government's objective to keep rural public transport sparse so that greater numbers of us choose to live in big conurbations, thereby making it easier for government's to watch over us; keep an eye on what we're doing and where we're going with CCTV etc.

Cynically I sometimes wonder if it's government's objective to keep rural public transport sparse so that greater numbers of us choose to live in big conurbations, thereby making it easier for government's to watch over us; keep an eye on what we're doing and where we're going with CCTV etc.

agree entirely, especially with the above, as this now really does seem to be the main aim of any and all govts to 'control' the people.

believe that the petrol wont shoot up so quickly, oil has started falling again. my personal belief is we are going to get hit by a second recession fairly soon (in possible a year).

agree entirely, especially with the above, as this now really does seem to be the main aim of any and all govts to 'control' the people.

believe that the petrol wont shoot up so quickly, oil has started falling again. my personal belief is we are going to get hit by a second recession fairly soon (in possible a year).

i hope not dp, im a roofer and im barely making ends meet now, another recession will finish me off :sad2::mad:

sorry mate just dont see the reason for things to recover - look at the following; debt, unemployment rate, house prices - where is the current upside?
stock markets are buoyant based on 2nd quarter surge in profits on spending but this is in comparison to last year which was abyssmal, suspect a downtrend during the 3rd quarter so sold most of my shares accordingly.

sorry mate just dont see the reason for things to recover - look at the following; debt, unemployment rate, house prices - where is the current upside?
stock markets are buoyant based on 2nd quarter surge in profits on spending but this is in comparison to last year which was abyssmal, suspect a downtrend during the 3rd quarter so sold most of my shares accordingly.

well i hope ur wrong or im up the creek so to speak lol :sad2:

well im usually quite the pessimist but being in the building trade and seeing things slowly picking up! im now the optimist and see thing being alot better by next summer. maybe i could have savings again and extra money to spend on the car?? who knows !

well im usually quite the pessimist but being in the building trade and seeing things slowly picking up! im now the optimist and see thing being alot better by next summer. maybe i could have savings again and extra money to spend on the car?? who knows !

good to hear m8. things are slow then one mad rush then slow again.

wouldnt mind doing a bit saving for myself for that so called rainy day. i live in wales tho and its always raining here lmao !!!!!!!

Nah of course it won't, but to be fair there are a few alternative fuels out there, and intend to exploit 2 of them (veg oil/bio diesel and LPG) the fuel duty on ethier of these are still quite low and I think i'm right in saying this (unless the law has changed) you can use a certain about of veg oil/bio diesel a year without paying duty on it (please correct me if i am wrong), e85 isn't that readily available in this country and yes it is cheaper than petrol but it doesn't compensate for the fact that your car will be using a 1/3 more fuel compared to petrol so there really isn't any point, from a performance standpoint I guess there is but it's not worth the cost.

But I think in order for us to save some money on fuel we are going to have to spend a bit of money to stop lining the governments pockets (lpg kits)

Current legislation allows you to use up to 2000 litres of 'alternative fuel' each year for personal use. So if you run a logistics firm then there are no concessions.

I am not totally clear with the definition of alternative fuel. At one point it was not acceptable to use SVO as a derv alternative since SVO did not qualify as an 'alternative fuel' at the time. I looked into this early in 2005.

Biodiesel is a bit of a minefield, both technically and politically.

Nice, I use to get duty paid biodiesel, then it got too expensive so I use regular stuff now

I still have concerns about biodiesel and it's suitability for use in high technology diesel engines. Most current diesels won't work well on the stuff, they're also likely to fail high pressure pumps and injectors in common rail applications.

With the price of diesel matching the price of even the cheapest culinary oil litre for litre there is no tangible benefit anyway. That in itself is wrong. Food and fuel should not cost so much as they do in the UK.

Nope, pumps go up just as the barrel price goes up and pump prices go down a few months after the pump prices go down!

January = More fuel duty and bigger VAT charges! Expect £1.25+ per litre in good old blighty.

The goverment is a legal version of the Mafia, the more they get the more they want. Petrol is like liquid gold, People will be stealing you car for the petrol soon.
I'm thinkin' of getting a mountain bike, Happy days.
The joys of cars, it used to be fun driving and modding your car, but now with speed camera, speed humps & spot checks the driver is public enemy number 1.

Rant over now still gotta love the car though couldn't live without her.

Yay. more tax on fuel. great.

While it may be true that no one forced a gun to my head saying that i must buy a 7.2l v8 petrol rocket ship of a car. it does seem that those living in rural areas are penalised more that needs be. my car can get pretty high mpg figures if i drive carefully, but i still need to drive 20,000 + miles a year to maintain my job, and to get my partner to work on time as well, that adds up to a lot of fuel, which on an apprentice wage, is not small change.

maybe the government is attempting to wean the nation off big engined motors, but in an economic infrastructure that relys on the motor car as the main means of transport such hikes in price are going to hit the poor, those in rural areas, and those whose trade involves a lot of driving. all three of the catagories i could fall into.

dear mr government nasty man, set up a useable bus network in my area (with the money i kindly send you out of my paycheque) and i wont whinge at you any more, but please dont force me out of work by making it too expensive to attend my post.

Organic Fuel is going to take place in the museum within a century !It makes me cry when I think that my next generation has to depend on the battery toys...

Y. it does seem that those living in rural areas are penalised more that needs be.
Damn right we are, poor transportation links - perfect example 2 buses will go passed my work tomorrow one around 9 and the other at 2. im looking at moving to a quiet hamlet which as far as im aware there is no real bus links to the major town its a case of a bus 3 miles one way then another 20 miles the other

Nope, pumps go up just as the barrel price goes up and pump prices go down a few months after the pump prices go down!

January = More fuel duty and bigger VAT charges! Expect £1.25+ per litre in good old blighty.

PG, can only agree with half of this, price will surely go up as the barrel price goes down, but it will then just stay up.

the idea of the govt is not to force drivers off the road as they know fine well that people will still drive, they can just collect more revenue whilst they do this. In regards to LPG etc.. being cheaper, just wait until the amount of vehicles using alternative fuel hits a certain point then the tax will be raised accordingly on this to account for the shortfall in revues created by those switching from petrol. Supposedly then though we will have a greener planet - the govt just seems to have forgotten that the UK is paltry to size of many others countries.