fuel injector servicing

Depends on the car. Not usually necessary if you've always used good fuel and changed the fuel filter often. On a standard car I'd never bother. If it were something I was modifying engine-wise I'd get them done during some other major work or before a mapping session etc.

Agreed pretty much, if your car is standard chap just chuck some injector cleaner in it, forte is supposed to be the best stuff

cheers for the replys!!
so lets say for my car, i bought it with 60,000 on the clock i have no idea what fuel was used in that time, i had fsh but i dont recall seeing a fuel filter change (and i have never done 1) its had a few tweaks performance wise. and its now approaching 80k would it be worth it???

ther main reason i ask i was looking at vids on utube and seeing how some injectors werent working to there full potential i was just curious

Then I would consider getting something done to them, if you want more power in the future then an upgrade wouldn't be out of the question if it was me ;)

In your position, with your car, I would. I'm sending my 265cc injectors to injectorcleaning.co.uk when I get round to it. £14 per injector, everywhere has simular prices.

Then I would consider getting something done to them, if you want more power in the future then an upgrade wouldn't be out of the question if it was me ;)

I wouldn't go too far with the XUDT engines. Bulletproof as they are, there's not a huge amount to be gained with different injectors.

We have an ASNU machine at the workshop. I have written on this topic before and everyone else seemed to know so much that i couldn't be bothered to carry on with it, so here's my opinion.
Fuel related injector cleaning additives are a waste of money, they do not and can not clean injectors. Injectors have to be cleaned by ultrasonic cleansing.
We regularly clean sets of injectors that have done mileages differing from low to high and have seen as much as a 25% variation in flow rate on a set, that is rather a lot.
Cheap petrols will clog injectors more than expensive ones.
I have seen misfires on new injectors, when flow tested they have been appaling and needed to be cleaned. We now flow test all new injectors prior to fitting them to an engine, it's stupid not to when we have the facility. New injectors should come with a flow sheet, there is quite often a variation in what the flow sheet says and the result of a flow test. This is usually remedied by a quick clean and may well be caused by the injectors being in storage for x period of time prior to them being sold.
It's not just the flow rate that is affected, the spray pattern becomes unstable and can differ across a set used of injectors. Another common failure is the leak test, this means that the injector will allow droplets of fuel to pass whilst the system is still pressurised, this will result in poor starting. Don't forget that just turning off your engine does not release the pressure on fuel that has already been delivered to the fuel rail in most cases.
Injectors that are not in good condition will cost you more in fuel economy, they can and often do result in poor emissions and will contribute to MOT failures on the emissions test.
I put a video on here some time ago relating to fuel flow etc.
Please don't go away thinking that i'm under the impression that i know everything, i don't and never shall but i do have first hand everyday experience of this stuff.
This brief write up barely scratches the surface on this topic.

We have an ASNU machine at the workshop. I have written on this topic before and everyone else seemed to know so much that i couldn't be bothered to carry on with it, so here's my opinion.
Fuel related injector cleaning additives are a waste of money, they do not and can not clean injectors. Injectors have to be cleaned by ultrasonic cleansing.
We regularly clean sets of injectors that have done mileages differing from low to high and have seen as much as a 25% variation in flow rate on a set, that is rather a lot.
Cheap petrols will clog injectors more than expensive ones.
I have seen misfires on new injectors, when flow tested they have been appaling and needed to be cleaned. We now flow test all new injectors prior to fitting them to an engine, it's stupid not to when we have the facility. New injectors should come with a flow sheet, there is quite often a variation in what the flow sheet says and the result of a flow test. This is usually remedied by a quick clean and may well be caused by the injectors being in storage for x period of time prior to them being sold.
It's not just the flow rate that is affected, the spray pattern becomes unstable and can differ across a set used of injectors. Another common failure is the leak test, this means that the injector will allow droplets of fuel to pass whilst the system is still pressurised, this will result in poor starting. Don't forget that just turning off your engine does not release the pressure on fuel that has already been delivered to the fuel rail in most cases.
Injectors that are not in good condition will cost you more in fuel economy, they can and often do result in poor emissions and will contribute to MOT failures on the emissions test.
I put a video on here some time ago relating to fuel flow etc.
Please don't go away thinking that i'm under the impression that i know everything, i don't and never shall but i do have first hand everyday experience of this stuff.
This brief write up barely scratches the surface on this topic.

It's a sound and strong point. Common rail diesel injectors do suffer more than petrol injectors, simply due to the outrageous fuel rail pressures they're required to restrain.

The cleaning chemicals can, in my opinion, slow down the rate of decay of injector efficiency, and the use of good fuel (ie. not supermarket brands) also helps.

As for whether the fuel additives actually help solve a problem is disputable.

I've never had problems related to fuel injection, but I do use decent fuel and occasionally the odd can of Forte's magic elixir.

However, if they're clogged and not working properly then clearly it's gotta be reaplcement or professional cleaning.

I wouldn't go too far with the XUDT engines. Bulletproof as they are, there's not a huge amount to be gained with different injectors.

Nah, I wasn't on about my car mate, I saying if I was in his shoes then I would consider an upgrade if he plans on more mods in the future

also how then do fuel additives benefit then? if not for cleaning?

Last edited:
They do help with cleaning but if the injectors are really gummed up after years of short journeys and Tesco fuel it will take more than 1/2 litre of cleaning additive to sort out the problem.