fuel economy

Car
06 D4D landcruiser
hi all
with fuel prices rising and my love for all things mechanical is it possibly to adjust a landcrusier`s fuel pump in order to get more mpg currently getting 19 mpg:confused:

You can remap for economy, lots of tuning companies now do this.

I can't help thinking creating deliberate fuel starvation would not be a good thing for your engine.

You can't really starve a diesel engine - although air is metered, it's not throttled. There is no throttle, in fact.

The biggest single thing that affects fuel economy is driving style. Remapping is a good idea - even an optimised performance map will help economy provided you don't go and use all the extra torque on offer, all of the time.

An eco map is still a performance gain map but the top end power curve is smoothed off, which encourages earlier upchanges. You can achieve the same effect with a performance map and adjust your right foot.

Some Toyota common rail diesels can be hard to remap, however. You might have to resort to a tuning box but be very careful here - even the very best will not work well with cars that are equipped with particle filters.

You cannot alter the pump on common rail engines as you could with earlier diesel engines. The pump is just that, a pump - it plays no part in fuel injection timing or injector dwell time.

19mpg does sound very low to me though, these should manage about 30mpg in mixed usage. - Is everything else working correctly?

Last edited:
Lose some weight, take off the spare wheel for starters this makes a big difference to MPG. It does sound to me like it's not working at peak efficiency though.

Know anyone who owns a fishing boat? Or do you have Oil centarl heating? Know any farmers? Live close to an airfeild? Any truck stopps or parks neer you?

Just kiddin. Your knackerd. The only thing you can do is lose weight. I wouldn't fancy starving a motor like that. Just do the usuall tips, and lay off the right foot.

Definitely not in a CR diesel - stick with pump fuel. I think a trip to Toyota is imminent, you should see far more than 19mpg from your car.

You can remap for economy, lots of tuning companies now do this.

I can't help thinking creating deliberate fuel starvation would not be a good thing for your engine.

That is exactly my belief too.

And if the pundits here say 19mpg is low, you can take that to the bank.

and if they foresee a trip to Toyota, you can take that as a prediction too.

Would do you a load of good.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back