Is my fuel economy good, bad or about right ? I drive a diesel focus

FastLife91

Torque Junkie
Car
Ford Focus mk2
I have a 2006 mk2 focus 1.8 TDCI Sport, diesel

It takes 43 litres from fuel light to full brim. after driving just 5 or 10 miles the fuel gauge begins to move, it hits first line after around 80 - 100 miles, by the time it reaches the half way line I have usually covered only 180 - 200 miles, usually 180

By the time fuel light comes on I have only done around 370 - 380 miles.
I drive as careful as I can but still not much difference.

Still trying to fix damaged maf loom but any ideas ?

the figures for my car as written on report

Urban -39.2
extra - 64.2
combined 53.2

though I don't really see them in rrlaity

Doesn't sound brilliant tbh bud, I have a focus 1.8tdci, a Mk1 but I think the same engine?

I'll get about 450 miles or more. I know they're not accurate but the onboard mpg is showing 57.1

if you have maf issues your fueling is going to be off which could be affecting your mpg.

Doesn't sound brilliant tbh bud, I have a focus 1.8tdci, a Mk1 but I think the same engine?

I'll get about 450 miles or more. I know they're not accurate but the onboard mpg is showing 57.1

if you have maf issues your fueling is going to be off which could be affecting your mpg.

Is your car diesel ?

How many miles from full to the brim until your gauge moves ? Mine is like, 5 miles or so. on my previous petrol car which was overall worse on fuel, it would be around 60 - 70 miles until it would move from full, not a mere 5

53.2 is OK to my mind. I don't average much more than about 43mpg in the Passat. But I do work i quite hard ;)

what do you mean by 52.3 mpg?

who mentioned that ?

If you looked at what I wrote, I said the written statistics are and then I say combined = 52.3mpg, did not say that is what I am getting after full tank

Yep, mine is the 1.8 tdci diesel -115bhp stock but it is remapped to 140.

I've just filled up and zeroed the trip so I'll make a note of when the needle moves and when I get to a quarter. I don't really like letting it get to the warning light.

what do you mean by 52.3 mpg?

who mentioned that ?

If you looked at what I wrote, I said the written statistics are and then I say combined = 52.3mpg, did not say that is what I am getting after full tank

Typo and complete misread by me!! What are you getting in real world usage?

Typo and complete misread by me!! What are you getting in real world usage?

usually around 39 mpg with most of that urban but with a very gentle right foot. When fuel light comes on it usually says after I type it in and look online that my overall mpg from that tank is 41 mpg.
however from first half tank I was seeing over 55 mpg after a long motorway trip but after driving 50 miles around town it dropped to 42 mpg

trying to work out if/where my car has a trip computer

Yep, mine is the 1.8 tdci diesel -115bhp stock but it is remapped to 140.

I've just filled up and zeroed the trip so I'll make a note of when the needle moves and when I get to a quarter. I don't really like letting it get to the warning light.

I always refill to brim ever week or more, I only let it get to low warning light if I am experimenting.

I am trying to discover if my 06 focus has a trip compter

Always fill mine to the brim also, because once it gets to the 1/4 tank in that car, I have to seek a petrol station very quickly or it will end in tears, with me on the roadside blocking all the traffic while waiting for the AA :oops:

Always fill mine to the brim also, because once it gets to the 1/4 tank in that car, I have to seek a petrol station very quickly or it will end in tears, with me on the roadside blocking all the traffic while waiting for the AA :oops:
so, does my car have a trip computer ?

ppl are saying it should be on the left stalk but I have no button that I can see on the left stsalk

ppl are saying it should be on the left stalk but I have no button that I can see on the left stsalk

Then it is safe to assume that you do not have a trip computer. This must be a gadget that is no doubt equipped on a more up market model.

They're not fantastically useful to be honest. I've had trip computers on the last four cars and none really set me alight. It's something to fiddle with when sat in an M5 tailback.

Then it is safe to assume that you do not have a trip computer. This must be a gadget that is no doubt equipped on a more up market model.
Unless I do have one but I am doing it wrong ?

my car is a 2006, I see some people say they have one on the mk1 focus and they are several years older than my car.

I can't even see the thingy which shows you the outside temp, my previous w - reg car had at least that

My point I am making here and that you are not seeing, is the fact that a model older than yours has the trip computer and you don't is irrelevent. From time to time manufacturers add and take away special features for various sales drives over the years. If they need a push then they throw in a few features and toys and when they don't require having to make up a particular quota then toys are removed to save money.

It's quite common for manufacturers to load up end of run models with all sorts of kit to shift them and make way for the new one. The fact is that the MkII Focus which you have is an arguably much better car than the MkI. And the MkI was never anything than impressive too.

Don't fret over not having a trip computer - they are not especially useful once you get over the fascination. My last four cars have been thus equipped and I play with it occasionally.

My point I am making here and that you are not seeing, is the fact that a model older than yours has the trip computer and you don't is irrelevent. From time to time manufacturers add and take away special features for various sales drives over the years. If they need a push then they throw in a few features and toys and when they don't require having to make up a particular quota then toys are removed to save money.

Oh , I see

I will have another look or ask another person to check for me, if it doesn't have one then, meh
I suppose I could even get one fitted ?

Quick question

My car was diagnosed with bad head gasket ( after chemical test on coolant, well water as that is all I use)
It drives fine, no power loss ( except from maf wiring loom) no oil / water mixing together, no smoke.
the only problem is having to top up water once a week by 2 or 3 cups of water

Would it be okay if I drive to London and then drive around London and back with my car like this if I bring plenty of water and put it in the boot ?
journey would be around 500- 500 miles approx., I live near Wigan area in the North West
regards

Unless I do have one but I am doing it wrong ?
my car is a 2006, I see some people say they have one on the mk1 focus and they are several years older than my car.
I can't even see the thingy which shows you the outside temp, my previous w - reg car had at least that

Ok, do you have a service manual buddy? If so, then hopefully it should state what particular model has what particular gadget at any one time. Also, if you really want to have a trip computer - remember these are only ever used as a guide and are far from accurate, then there are kits out there that you can buy that plug into your OBD2 port and can either relay the relevant information on to a separate screen placed in the car, or on to a smart phone via the Bluetooth.

It's quite common for manufacturers to load up end of run models with all sorts of kit to shift them and make way for the new one. The fact is that the MkII Focus which you have is an arguably much better car than the MkI. And the MkI was never anything than impressive too.

Don't fret over not having a trip computer - they are not especially useful once you get over the fascination. My last four cars have been thus equipped and I play with it occasionally.

Thanks, I agree that my mk 2 focus is better than the mk 1 focus.

I will have another look to see if I have one , I might even ask somebody to look for me.

I am driving to London in 2 weeks, well thinking about it anyway.

the return journey will be approx. 500- 550 miles which includes some driving around the capital, lol

A recent chemical test on the water in my coolant ( I only use tap water) revealed bad head gasket as it changed color.
My car runs fine, no power loss ( except due to maf loom) no oil/water mixing, no smoke.

do you think it would be okay to make that journey to London if I bring plenty of water ?

Quick question

My car was diagnosed with bad head gasket ( after chemical test on coolant, well water as that is all I use)
It drives fine, no power loss ( except from maf wiring loom) no oil / water mixing together, no smoke.
the only problem is having to top up water once a week by 2 or 3 cups of water

Would it be okay if I drive to London and then drive around London and back with my car like this if I bring plenty of water and put it in the boot ?
journey would be around 500- 500 miles approx., I live near Wigan area in the North West
regards

I have had to do a similar thing before on my own car buddy. As long as you take plenty of water with you then you should be fine. If you use up your supply of water then there are plenty of service stations on route that you can top with at anytime. Remember to take a thick cloth with you and to let the car cool down as much as possible before you dare take of the radiator or coolant bottle cap. Just to be on the super safe side, if you do not have a breakdown recovery service like the AA, RAC, GREENFLAG etc, then contact your insurance company and see if they do a deal with a breakdown company before you leave for London that could save you a lot of money and you will be covered instantly. Remember that sods law means that you might get into trouble and need help sooner than you think.

Ok, do you have a service manual buddy? If so, then hopefully it should state what particular model has what particular gadget at any one time. Also, if you really want to have a trip computer - remember these are only ever used as a guide and are far from accurate, then there are kits out there that you can buy that plug into your OBD2 port and can either relay the relevant information on to a separate screen placed in the car, or on to a smart phone via the Bluetooth.

I do not currently have a manual for my car

I do not currently have a manual for my car

OK, well you can try contacting Ford and see how they are able to help you. Failing this then pop along to Halfords and buy a Haynes Manual for your car. This will cover many things on your car from what does what on the dashboard to help with essential maintenance and service.

I have had to do a similar thing before on my own car buddy. As long as you take plenty of water with you then you should be fine. If you use up your supply of water then there are plenty of service stations on route that you can top with at anytime. Remember to take a thick cloth with you and to let the car cool down as much as possible before you dare take of the radiator or coolant bottle cap. Just to be on the super safe side, if you do not have a breakdown recovery service like the AA, RAC, GREENFLAG etc, then contact your insurance company and see if they do a deal with a breakdown company before you leave for London that could save you a lot of money and you will be covered instantly. Remember that sods law means that you might get into trouble and need help sooner than you think.
I only have had it 9 months, spent around £1,300 on it so far not including £950 that was paid to the garage 9 months ago for head gasket, I went back recently to tell them it was ''gone'' again hoping they would offer a solution but they didn't.

Friend of mine said he would do it all in including parts for £400 but I have to pay additional £30 for head skim.

Anyway, I am not sure if hg's should be covered under a 1 years policy, do you have any ideas ?

still needs, engine mount
turbo oil feed hose
transmission wants looking at ( friend said replace gearbox oil should solve the problem) goes into every gear excellent, just makes clunk noise and transmission light is on,

Terribly sorry to hear that :( I can only wish you the very best of luck with any future works.
There are many clever chaps on here with vastly more experience in such things than I. I can only hope that someone will be able to guide you further. Good luck my friend

Terribly sorry to hear that :( I can only wish you the very best of luck with any future works.
There are many clever chaps on here with vastly more experience in such things than I. I can only hope that someone will be able to guide you further. Good luck my friend

thanks

my previous petrol car cost my £590, had it 3 years almost and spent £3,500 repairing that, scrapped it in the end for £90,
then paid £700 for last car, wouldn't start after a month so got rid of that for £300 at another loss.
then got this and you know the trouble from this so far

quick wquestion

Would draining gearbox oil and replacing gearbox oil stop a clunk noise and transmission light ?
car goes into each gear brilliantly, just the clunk and transmission light that irritate me.
(current gearbox oil looks old and has tiny bits of metal in it )
cheers

quick wquestion

Would draining gearbox oil and replacing gearbox oil stop a clunk noise and transmission light ?
car goes into each gear brilliantly, just the clunk and transmission light that irritate me.
(current gearbox oil looks old and has tiny bits of metal in it )
cheers

Yes many gearboxes are extremely fussy with the oil that they need. Pop along to Ford and ask them for the correct oil to use. If for some bizarre reason they cannot help you, then ask our resident oil expert @oilman for some informed expert advice.

Yes many gearboxes are extremely fussy with the oil that they need. Pop along to Ford and ask them for the correct oil to use. If for some bizarre reason they cannot help you, then ask our resident oil expert @oilman for some informed expert advice.

I really hope it is just the gearbox oil then,

Can bad gearbox oil cause transmission light to come on and a clunk noise also ?

Can bad gearbox oil cause transmission light to come on and a clunk noise also ?

In a word - YES! If the oil is to thick or too thin then it will cause issues with the transmission. The monitoring system for the transmission knows what it is looking for and if something is not right then the light will come on. Don't forget to replace any filters that the gearbox might be using at the same time as changing the oil.

In a word - YES! If the oil is to thick or too thin then it will cause issues with the transmission. The monitoring system for the transmission knows what it is looking for and if something is not right then the light will come on. Don't forget to replace any filters that the gearbox might be using at the same time as changing the oil.
thanks

really hope this is all that is wrong, would dirty gearbox oil cause the symptoms too ?

will try it in the next 2 weeks or so.

How much would a gearbox filter usually cost and how many on the car ?

Don't give up hope, remember I looked for all of 30 seconds and found this info, spend some quality time yourself and you could save even more money; patience is the key here.

Don't give up hope, remember I looked for all of 30 seconds and found this info, spend some quality time yourself and you could save even more money; patience is the key here.
I hope I can get a gearbox filter for less than £15, As I need to buy gearbox oil, filter, then pay for my friend to do it.
I also need to save up for head gasket replacement ( again), get engine mount, new turbo oil feed hose, get damaged wiring loom fixed, and other bits too.