Ford Focus Help

Prince

Torque King
Car
BMW E36 318is Coupe
My brother's car won't start. It's a 2006 1.6 Ford Focus. When he turns the key it makes a 'grinding' noise. The electrics all work fine.

Anyone got any ideas or any helpful ellaborations?

Thanks all

starter motor turning ?
if not whats the battery voltage like ?

I was thinking starter motor but I don't know how to check it tbh. Battery seems fine. He's 100% sure he didn't leave any lights on or anything that could run down the battery over night.

Is there anything else it could be?

I was thinking starter motor but I don't know how to check it tbh. Battery seems fine. He's 100% sure he didn't leave any lights on or anything that could run down the battery over night.

Is there anything else it could be?

check the voltage with a battery meter when youve got it running you want to see at least 13v. switch it off and check the voltage after half an hour you should still be in the high 12v area.

to check the starter apply a direct feed to it using a jump lead connected to the +ve area of the starter and tap the other side off the +ve side of the battery.
if that doesnt work connect the -ve side of the motor to the -ve side of the battery and redo the 1st step.

this also checks that the earth wire as if it doesnt turn with a live feed to it but both connected then the earth wire could be loose.

if it turns with live connected look for the large fuses and see if any of them have blown along with the relay (haynes manual or google should be able to turn these up for you)