Fiat are next under the emissions scandal spotlight

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
We thought there would be more than just VW and it seems that Fiat are now under the spotlight for emissions software irregularities.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38607678

Do you think Fiat have "cheated" or is this just another Smoke screen story by the anti motoring lobby?

Do you think they will all be involved or do you reckon there are a few car makers out there who have kept a good reputation and been totally honest?

Every business wants to save money, so I can imagine the following playing out in most board rooms.

Fat Cat: "We need to save money."
Other Fat Cat: "We waste a lot of money on reducing emissions. Let's just reduce the readings instead."
Fat Cat: "Amazing, I can feel the monies in my pockets already. Have a fat cat bonus and let's go play 18 holes."

So Fiat's being hung out to dry by Chrysler.... not really surprised. Chrysler has been nursed along with European money since the days of Talbot Sunbeams (and Rootes / Chrysler corp etc). WHen Daimler Benz got involved with them Chrysler was deeply in the red financially, operationally and market wise. Their whole product range was "low rent" and suffered from years of no investment. DB invested something like 34 or 37 Billion euros (it's difficult to get exact figures) including complete new models and re-tooling of their factories. When DB had enough and sold out, Chrylser execs were sitting on top of a $7 billion cash mountain - yet the still accused DB of selling them out! Now Fiat is in there and once more the Euro cash is flowing into the US car manufacturers pockets yet still they (in this case Fiat) are treated like pariahs to be ostracised and pilloried by the US gov't and the media. You couldn't make it up.