Fiat 500 1.2 to Abarth 1.4 engine conversion, can it be done?

L

Laura

Hi!

I've been doing some research on fiat 500 conversions and it appears I can't find anyone that has made their 1.2 fiat 500 into a 1.4 abarth... is this because it cannot be done?! or is it just because people have enough money to go on buy a normal Abarth?
I've had my fiat 500 a year now and I've put the full abarth body kit on, and I must admit it looks pretty awesome :) I'm really happy with it! but now it looks the part... I need it to feel the part, but struggling up hills in my 65bhp isn't much fun! (as I'm sure you can imagine) so, I want to buy a 1.4 abarth engine and put it in my car but like I said earlier, there's literally next to nothing about this on the web.. so any advice would be appreciated! let me know your thoughts :)

Greetings Laura and welcome to our TorqueCars forum :)

I am not sure that by fitting the Abarth engine and running gear that this would be cost effective i.e. 'power gained to money spent' ratio. You also have to factor in the brakes as well as additional BHP requires extra stopping power. Personally I would sell your copy and buy the real McCoy, but if the engine project is high on the wish list then who am I to say anything negative ;)

Wouldnt the cost of the insurance on the modded car be more than on a standard abarth?

That was going to be my next question ;)

It can be done. You'll need suspension, gearbox and the ecu and wiring from the 1.4.

It might be easier to fit a supercharger kit to your 1.2 than an engine swap.

If you can find a rear end damaged write off as a donor vehicle you'll be able to switch over the parts.

What is your budget here?

Last edited: