Fake BOV

I love MCM... Been watching them since series 1 ep 1!

Dump valves are only useful for high powered turbo cars I suppose. It's more of a boy racer thing now, though.

I wonder if I you installed one on a NA car it would have enough air pressure to make it go 'PSHSSSS':lol::lol:

:lol:

You can install BOV's on diesels.. but as they have no throttle, I haven't figured out how yet.

I did, how ever think about using the waste gas from a blanked EGR valve with the actual valve removed, as its a constantly recirculating source.

A while back someone posted up about the electronic BOV's that you can fit to NASP engines. It's basically a big speaker and sound generator and connected to the throttle IIRC. What is the point!

Noise is not a performance mod (usually) so why add something that just makes a noise that offers little or no additional benefit?

:lol:

Not enough pressure afaik so again would be pointless.

I thought there would have been enough! Just have to try it suppose! Then I thought... Hang on, can you attach one a suitable boost source/vaccum source, then use like... a contraption to open the BOV from the govener/ accelerator arm...:blink: ;)

Last edited:
A while back someone posted up about the electronic BOV's that you can fit to NASP engines. It's basically a big speaker and sound generator and connected to the throttle IIRC. What is the point!

Noise is not a performance mod (usually) so why add something that just makes a noise that offers little or no additional benefit?

It is really just for the noise mate. BOV's are designed for turbo cars ( as you know ), any one with any car knowledge knows that, add a fake one and some people will think your car is turbo charged, or supercharged, but no whistle or whine would give it away! So yeah... Like I said before its a boy racer image.

I've heard some pretty nice Woosh sounds especially on a scooby, but I've heard others that sound like my dogs farts.

Last edited:

You may as well save a few quid and just make the noise yourself!

I thought there would have been enough! Just have to try it suppose! Then I thought... Hang on, can you attach one a suitable boost source/vaccum source, then use like... a contraption to open the BOV from the govener/ accelerator arm...:blink: ;)

I know diesel BMWs don't have enough pressure so I would assume that it's the same for others as well.

You may as well save a few quid and just make the noise yourself!

I can just imagine a chav with their head out of a window, giving it " WHOOOSH"... :lol:

I know diesel BMWs don't have enough pressure so I would assume that it's the same for others as well.

There are few 306 HDi's with dump valves fitted, infact there is a guide somewhere on YouTube... I think.

My RS dumps back through the filter even with a recirc. Don't really like it tbh as the novelty wore off with the PGTs but everyone else seems to like it. The only way to mask it is fit the old airbox back, but then there'd be a restriction and it wouldn't sound like it was going to suck in animals and small children on boost :) :)

Going to try a stronger recirc spring when I get chance see if I can get it to chatter at low boost without dumping ;)

Will do matey, might try it Saturday with the aim of getting it to chatter at low boost (ie stall the compressor a touch) without making it jerky but still dump air at high boost. I have all four of forges springs and 3 shims as I ordered a red spring but they sent me the whole kit by mistake lol.

Will do matey, might try it Saturday with the aim of getting it to chatter at low boost (ie stall the compressor a touch) without making it jerky but still dump air at high boost. I have all four of forges springs and 3 shims as I ordered a red spring but they sent me the whole kit by mistake lol.

I do hope the kit included some dead children and small animals to be drawn through the air intake :) Not value for money otherwise :)

Totally off subject, I've had an idea for a great website or maybe something that could be added to this one.

We drive around with a camera searching for great driving roads & compile them all in one place & show people where they are on google maps. We show each corner, camber, danger zones, road surfaces, ect.

I'll be the first to nominate the A86 from Newtonmore to Fort william.

It's what floats your boat, I guess. I will be trying very hard to eliminate any whooshing noises, they are purely for showoffs :)

It's similar to NOS purging. If I fit NOS (I have the kit already), the purge gases will be directed at the intercooler not to atmosphere.

Not sure but do bov,s stop turbo stall?,i got a hks sequential bov makes different noise dependant on pressure,from a flutter up to a whoosh,however i did find the video interesting,i did wonder if you could fit one on a diesel!,now i know!

I confess! I think the PSSSSSSS you hear from a dump valve is cool & its fun to drive a car that makes that sound every time you let off the power.

That having been said I wouldn't want one unless I had a turbo to go with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I drove a BOV car a few years ago and the whoosh on every gear change drove me nuts very quickly!

The Cosworths I have owned only make noises on hard driving, which I can live with.