Extinct car features

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Which options and features do you see becoming extinct on cars over the next 5-10 years?

The humble cassette player made its disappearance years ago but what about steel wheels, cd changers, 4 speed gearboxes and the like?

What other things do you reckon will be phased out and why?

I quite enjoy cup holders. They hold apples particularly well. I never actually use them to hold cups, just about everything else.

Jakeymd: "I quite enjoy cup holders. They hold apples particularly well. I never actually use them to hold cups, just about everything else."

Get a BMW. The back ones under the rear air vents (in the centre console) break if you even look at them the wrong way. In fairness they're one of the few poorly designed bits of interior. Strangely or not, BMW offers a replacement oddments tray which fits in place of the cup holders. Be nice to the dealer and they'll give it to you for free :)

I reckon the 12v Cigarette slot will go soon as they are trying to ban smoking in cars and also with new technology i just think it will be a thing of the past

The cup holder is detrimental for having loose change for the Dartford bridge and parking machines!

I have a dual USB converter in my cigarette lighter slot and this is quite versatile so I do think a USB charging port should become standard on cars.

A USB Converter!? Nice!!

I think too these should replace all Cigarette lighters! like you said so i can charge my ipod while driving :D would be handy for my 14 hour drive to the south of france this summer

The fag lighter and ashtray are on thair way out shurly. No one lights a fag with em these days. And no one uses the ash tray in the car either. Cos it stinks it out. The fag lighter is only around now days for things like your sat nav and phone charging. Somone will make a new port soon that will take off. I recon it will be a usb port there for uploading files and songs to the car, then eventually over 5 years or so, manufactures will stop making the big round plugs and make usb ones instead.

Our cars will auto drive and we won't have a need for a steering wheel!

BBJ - the ashtray is where I keep my parking money, I'd be so sad to see it go.

I keep my money for parking in the ash tray n all! haha I think Autodrive would never properly come in as people like to be in control rather than let a machine do the work.

Just like the option of Automatic and manual gears

I keep my money for parking in the ash tray n all! haha I think Autodrive would never properly come in as people like to be in control rather than let a machine do the work.

Just like the option of Automatic and manual gears

I'll take a good automatic over a manual. Let's be fair here - the gearbox was only invented to make up for the internal combustion engine's inflexibility and if could have been made fully automatic at the start then it would have been just that.

I think that the traditional torque converter auto will disappear fairly soon and be replaced with something like the DSG units employed in many VAG models.

Automatic is Lame as you have less chance of pulling away at the lights against a manual as they can dump the clutch and get more torques down

Automatic is Lame as you have less chance of pulling away at the lights against a manual as they can dump the clutch and get more torques down

Can't say I've noticed this to be honest in the automatics I've driven. Mine still clears 60mph in about 7.5 seconds. But in smaller cars you're probably correct. A 1.2 Punto with automatic transmission would be a bit of a plodder I expect.

I still think that manual clutches will disappear soon.

Oh really!!! :blink: Fancy a drag race on the track of your choosing against my lame automatic old Saab? ;)

yeah sure T9 when we have equivalent horses XD

Automatics have come a long way and there's further to go yet. Mine is a traditional torque converter type of box (but with full ECU management); it does have six gears and a Steptronic mode (which is pointless, in my opinion). It's pretty lively, even from a standstill - more than enough torque to give the DSC cause to intervene. I doubt I'd have too much trouble staying with your Punto at the lights.

I suspect that in some future the engines powered with fossil fuels will be baned.
Look at the Mate Rimac on google or you tube. It does not help he is from small country with no strong loby to support him, but he claim he made an electric car with 600 km radius on one charging.
He also do drag races with his electric BMW.
Those things will be our standards in future. I got the feeling that major manufacturers dismissed all ideas about Hydrogen and all of them trying to find solutions for use of electric current. Just waiting to other lobys overfill their pockets with what's left of oil.

And because of the way the torque develop in electromotors we will need no torque converters. At least not the ones we got on our minds now.

Last edited:
Autos used to be slower tham manuals as they had less gears so were compromised in their ratios. Now they have the same or more as manuals, with gears preselected and changed in a microsecond they're just as quick.

Indicators are becoming extinct, as too are mirrors in some cars!

Seriously, sunroofs could be as a waste of time in some cars due to air-con negating the need for them. Also why have one as they will tend to leak in time. I hate mine on the Discovery and I have two!

One day the manual handbrake will go completely replaced by an electronic one as per VW I have seen and used.

One day the manual handbrake will go completely replaced by an electronic one as per VW I have seen and used.

It's already gone! My mate has a Bentley GT Continental Supersports, it has an electronic button on the centre consul for this. Maybe that's where Bentley got the idea from.

I would never trust an electrical Handbrake! something would unsettle me about it as in what if there was a electrical failure! you can beat good old fashion mechanical clout!

I would never trust an electrical Handbrake! something would unsettle me about it as in what if there was a electrical failure! you can beat good old fashion mechanical clout!

I know what your saying, but the car starts at £171k new! I have faith in the technology if they trust it enough to fit it to this monster of a car! ;)

lol! You could say that about the Lexus's that got recalled last year mate ;) lol!! I would have to try it before i could trust it!

I always loved the sunroof in my Punto! Never had it closed and it never leaked in either GT.

Lmao at stamford, indicators and mirrors definately becoming extinct. Drives me mental.

I tell you what's becoming extinct (and I blame VAG for this mostly)....good old fashioned turbo lag. You can't even tell these newer VAGs have got turbos, bore off.

I reckon another interesting thing to vanish will soon be Regular Headlights replaced with HID and Xenon Bulbs for Safety And I certainly wouldn't miss Sidelights would stop morons driving this time of night with them on thinking its acceptable!

Sides are admissible on lit restricted roads. Not ideal if every other car is on dips. You'll be invisible.

electric barking brake - Renault's modest Laguna II had this in later years. I had use of a Jag S Type 2.7D in 2005 - this had electric h/b too. It engaged when you select Park position.

Why have a mechanical lever when it can be done for you? Why have a car at all when you have legs and can walk?

Let's stop being selective about progress.