Expect more speed average cameras

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Expect to see more speed average cameras especially around towns with a 20mph limit.

Cynically do you believe this a money making excercise rather than safety one or is it laudable that speed limits in sensative zones are more rigourously enforced?

I hope that more leeway is given that the assumed 10% + 3MPH otherwise we could all be looking at 3 points for doing 25mph!

all speed cameras are money makers, i got a speed camera down my way on a dual carrage way, its 50mph but when you pull out onto a carrage way you have to put your foot down sometimes to get out onto the road. so what do they do, stick a camera right by where you pull out, its ridiculous, but hey ho, what can you do

Expect to see more speed average cameras especially around towns with a 20mph limit.

Cynically do you believe this a money making excercise rather than safety one or is it laudable that speed limits in sensative zones are more rigourously enforced?

I hope that more leeway is given that the assumed 10% + 3MPH otherwise we could all be looking at 3 points for doing 25mph!

20mph limits have to be self enforcing by means of signage, pinch points, speed humps etc. You will never be isued with a FPN or summons for speeding in a 20mph limit.

Why don't we just alter the road traffic act and allow repeater signs in all 30mph areas. Simply reminding people of the speed limit would help enormously.

As for de-restricted roads I don't really have a problem with traffic speed. For everyone who goes outrageously fast there's another ten who hold up another ten each by driving needlessly slowly.

Transient speed, especially, should be dismissed. Passing a couple of HGVs on the A41 could well see you briefly hitting 90 mph for a second or two (in a quick car) just to get by swiftly and safely. That should not constitute an offence in iteslf.

Over zealous speed enforcement gives a very bad message to drivers.

That's partly the point of the average speed cameras.

At precisely 60 mph it should take you 30s to cover 0.5miles.

With the minimum allowance of 10% (just for speedo inaccuracy), it would take about 27.27s at 66mph.

If you speed up to 90mph for about 0.1miles to overtake something, travelling the rest of the way at 60mph would still take a total of 28s - slowly enough not to trigger the camera.

That's partly the point of the average speed cameras.

At precisely 60 mph it should take you 30s to cover 0.5miles.

With the minimum allowance of 10% (just for speedo inaccuracy), it would take about 27.27s at 66mph.

If you speed up to 90mph for about 0.1miles to overtake something, travelling the rest of the way at 60mph would still take a total of 28s - slowly enough not to trigger the camera.

That would be comforting apart from this government draconian approach to everything.

am not a cynic but this is just money making, they arent catching enough people with stand alone cameras so are employing this technique to tax the motorist.

Are you aware that the cameras in the roadworks on the M1 in Nottinghamshire have caught 25% more speeders in 1.5 years as the original trial period for the cameras (at Leicester Forest East, in Roadworks) caught in a day?

Actual numbers are 5084 (between May 2008 and Oct 2009) vs. ~4300.

That suggests either a massive reduction in the number of speeders, or that people are more used to the type and in the original trial treated them as Gatso-types.

Indeed, UKspeedtraps.co.uk states that the Nottingham system (presumably the one on the ring road) is actually making a loss, but it's still in place.