Exhausts

dpsubaru

The Torque Meister
Car
Subaru WRX Turbo 04
Which is better at keeping the heat in, stainless or standard carbon steel? And if stainless is it still worth exhaust wrapping them to keep more of the heat in?

Havent had a stainless one before, years ago i had an Ashley system (which cost about GBP120) - did sod all for the power but the noise was unbelievable, amazingly it managed to pass an MOT?

Which is better at keeping the heat in, stainless or standard carbon steel? And if stainless is it still worth exhaust wrapping them to keep more of the heat in?

Havent had a stainless one before, years ago i had an Ashley system (which cost about GBP120) - did sod all for the power but the noise was unbelievable, amazingly it managed to pass an MOT?

There is probably a difference, but not one you will notice as they both get bl**dy hot!!!

And yes, both would usually benefit from wrapping or ceramic coating (or possibly both, but I have been unable to find any info on whether this is a good idea or not)

I've heard good things about wrapping. Some say it shortens the life of the exhaust but only by a few years IMHO and on a new exhaust it will not be noticed as there are typically no wear and tear on the metal to exploit.

We have been here before. Basically, the extra heat accelerates the breakdown of the steel structure, but it will take decades!!! The myth probably originated from people badly wrapping old, rusted pipes in order to hide them then blaming the wrapping when they failed :)

Last edited by a moderator: