ESP- license to drive like a maniac?

Steevo

Wrench Pro
Car
MK6 Golf Gti DSG
Has anyone tested ESP to its limits? I'm curious about its ability, but too scared to 'try it out'. I haven't had the car for long so don't intend to wreck it....yet. ;)

It's not going to alter the laws of physics. All the ESP systems do is to make best use of the available grip under each wheel. This is done in two ways generally.

1. Reducing engine torque;
2. Applying brakes to individual wheels.

It's clever and works very well but anyone who is constantly 'dipping' into the ESP (DSC etc etc. different makers have different names for it) should really review their driving technique.

^^ My ESP has a manual override to switch it off for better track day fun or other naughty moments :rolleyes:

The Passat is switchable. The BMW had a halfway house mode which retained brake actuation but crippled the torque limiting. Personally I just leave it alone in the default all on position.

To be honest, I'm not a crazy driver, but when I read ESP 'facts' there's a little voice in my head says "is that so? Let's test you out then" :D

It definitely works there's no argument about that. I think we all like to have a little play the first time we get our grubby little mits on a new [to us] piece of vehicle technology.

I remember when I first got my Clio 172 and I hit a roundabout going much too quickly - noone around, just me. The ESP in it got me round in one piece and I could feel it braking individual wheels as it did it.

I personally don't like ESP. I find it can be too intruding on a spirited drive.
My old Focus had a horrible system. It reacted way before the limit of grip was reached. And it couldn't be forced off.

Vauxhall's system is a little better, but not much. Although that system can be completely turned off. Minus abs that stays on.

Never switched my ESP or Winter mode setting off. Never really noticed it except on very occasional circumstances when starting off on a slippery bit of road like a manhole cover or wet uphill start and the power is cut causing a judder but other then that not noticed it. Must be a really slow driver ?-/

FWD is never going to quite match up to RWD when pressing on. In the BMW the DSC rarely intruded at all (a 528i is not exactly the fastest car on the planet anyway). The Passat's ESP does get in the way if you push too hard but I take that as an advisory to back of a few %.

A bit of drive slip in a RWD car is very softly and smoothly negated. With FWD it feels like the car is trying to rip the steering wheel from your grasp.

But I leave it on at all times regardless.

The RS6 ESP is really really intrusive in the fully on position. It starts taking away huge chunks of power even with the slightest hint of wheel slip... its actually annoying when coming out of junctions sharpish. It's far better in Sport which deactivates the ASR and EDL but leaves the safety net of 'your about to spin all the way around, let me help you there' switched on.

My Passat's ESP is a bit conservative at times. Seems to intervene if one wheel threatens to slip 1/10,000th of a milimetre.

This is exactly the same as the RS6, made even more annoying by the fact its Quattro. It's far better off or in sport as whilst there will be a little wheel slip under WOT, its minimal and the Quattro centre diff generally moves it between front and rear well enough to provide decent forward motion.

My old Skyline had the Attessa Pro system and was fantastic. Just been reading about Nissans new system on the new GTR where it actually tilts the engine forward under hard acceleration to maintain balance (8})

Active hyrdaulic engine mountings are not that rare. However, I've not heard of them being used for any purpose other than to reduce NVH. Not until now, that is.

The AWD Skylines have always been super hi tech cars so this is no surprise.

I know the GTR has always been bristling with state of the art toys and gadgets, but that engine tilt unit is a fantastic idea.

I just love the way those Nissan chaps have a mad idea and then set out to make it work to the drivers advantage |B