Is there a case for special license?

TCJBOLDIE

Staff member
Car
2011 Honda FN2
The test for gaining a license to drive is in the main simple and there is little to no incentive for anyone to undertake additional training to improve on basic skills that from my observations in many instances quickly degrade into bad habits IE tailgating ,poor wheel technique, bad posture behind the wheel,driving 1 handed etc,etc

Would passing an advanced driving course on the track and road combined with an attitude/ psychological test with say an additional "A" plate allow some leeway in certain circumstances , being able to exceed posted limits in some areas when conditions allow (with the onus on the driver having to prove that he/she was not driving dangerously)

Something along the lines of a class 1 police driver course comes to mind.

I think it's a good idea but it's more likely that A plates will be able to travel at&t current limits and all others will be restricted.

The problem is you'd end up policing drivers individually according to different limits and not the cars with a sticker making speed cameras obsolete.

Allowing advanced drivers to use the outside lane or toll roads for free would be an incentive to me to get the extra training.

I'm a brilliant driver and I don't need a certificate to tell me that! - so thinks 90% of drivers on our roads.

Poor wheel technique TCJBOLDIE? That's what they teach you to do so that you pass your test!
"Wheel shuffling" should have gone out when power steering came in, IMHO.

Like speed limits; the national speed limit was set in the 60's & based on stopping distances at various speeds. Cars have gotten a good deal better at stopping since then but the law hasn't been adjusted.

In my opinion, speed limits should be denominated with the help of psychologists/biologists, people who could come up with an accurate indication of an average persons reaction time, attention, skid control skill, ect, & then factor in the practical applications.

Having said all that I actually think attitude alone is probably the No.1 most prominent thing.

Poor wheel technique TCJBOLDIE? That's what they teach you to do so that you pass your test!
"Wheel shuffling" should have gone out when power steering came in, IMHO

Having said all that I actually think attitude alone is probably the No.1 most prominent thing.

You obviously have not read my driving tips posted some time ago re "poor wheel technique"

IBP is 9 and 3 so incorrect hand positions IMO encompasses all other positions including a single hand anywhere on the wheel when not changing gears etc

The Hendon method / shuffling has one advantage in that it helps keep your arms clear of the airbag should it deploy at 200kmh +

Glad we agree on attitude being an important factor in driver behavior|B

9 & 3 is how I navigate the wheel anyway, except when I let go entirely to let the drift automatically do the countersteering. Your hands never need to leave those positions at high speed & psychologically I think it tells your brain where the wheels are pointing.

Get serious, your not a wheel shuffler are you?

I am a wheel shuffler too, even on the track. Never let go of the wheel, never cross your hands and stay in FULL control.

Until you've lost control due to poorly positioned hands on the wheel you will be overconfident. Hit a kerb and when the wheel is wrenched out of your hands and the car veers away you'll have learned the same lesson as many of us seasoned drivers.

;)

I use a mix of techniques depending on the situation on the road but its 9and 3 on the track.
Learning to do basic drifting is on my bucket list:)