Economical fast cars

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
If you wanted a fast car that was still quite economical what would you go for?

What do you think the fastest 0-60 time would be on a car that still did 39-45 MPG.

That's not far, that is tough :p

For me a fast car isn't known for its economy and if I considered say a TDi VW or Audi which would give the mpg figures and some kick then fast car and sound wouldn't be right for me. Fast car needs a good soundtrack to enjoy the package. s I have not owned or driven enough cars in the bracket you state I can't really add much. I have driven a 6 speed Golf TDi and an Audi and that was pretty nippy but wouldn't call it the best of both.

First we need to define what is fast? For me fast is even 170-200 bhp in hatchback, but maybe for someone who is used to much more power that is not fast enough.
And as Stamford implied, many people can not stand diesel sound, so for them diesel is out of option. (not to mention reving of diesels)
For me fast and economical can be some tuned diesel. In hatchback you can have about 170-200 bhp (or even more!) and mantain 40 mpg or better when you drive cautionly. But when you demand power out of your engine that energy comes out of fuel. So blasting TDI, HDI or JTD down the road or up the hill will decrease those 40 mpg substantionly imo.
Anyway, if you can stand low revs and diesel noice some highly tuned diesel is what you are looking for. Otherwise i think you can look for economy and power in modern turbo benzin engines with humble cilinder volumes. Even there i think you will see higher fuel consumption then in modern diesels in similar driving style, but you got some more reving and the sound you may like.
Just my 2....what is the name for your small change coins? :lol:

Pence is our small coins Zwaf! ;)

Thanks, mate! I knew how to pronaunce it, but in the way I almost written it would not be apropriate for the forum...you know - last letter would be an "S" with "I" just before it... :lol: :lol:
A lot of stuff I'm able to talk but not to writte, at least not in the proper way. :(

Thanks, mate! I knew how to pronaunce it, but in the way I almost written it would not be apropriate for the forum...you know - last letter would be an "S" with "I" just before it... :lol: :lol:
A lot of stuff I'm able to talk but not to writte, at least not in the proper way. :(

Don't worry Zwaf your written English is very good, we will all try to help you out with any words or phrases that you may have difficulty with ;)

Don't worry Zwaf your written English is very good, we will all try to help you out with any words or phrases that you may have difficulty with ;)

Thanks! Apreciate it! But do not feel obligate to do that. :embarrest:

Shrapnel. :amuse:

I see everybody put their effort to help here! :lol:
I know what shrapnel is (war vet here, remember! ;) ), and i guess Coppers because they are made of coper or latin Cuprum - Cu. :p

But guys, what is your opinion on "Economical fast cars"? :)

Golf GTTDi - I bet you can't beat it for 0-60 and high MPG! Do Try though.

0-60 7.3 (as tested by Diesel magazine VW quote 8.6!) & MPG in the high 50's. Throw in a remap and it gets even more impressive than that.

Golf GTTDi - I bet you can't beat it for 0-60 and high MPG! Do Try though.

0-60 7.3 (as tested by Diesel magazine VW quote 8.6!) & MPG in the high 50's. Throw in a remap and it gets even more impressive than that.

Xavier, that is good spent 2 pence imho! ;)
Is it mk4, 5 or 6 you refer here? Mk4 should have 150 hp, and mk5 about 170 hp. What about mk6? Is there mk6 GTTDI?

The words economical and fast are not usually two words that I would ever use together! I shall follow this thread with interest as I am intrigued by the outcome ;)

The words economical and fast are not usually two words that I would ever use together! I shall follow this thread with interest as I am intrigued by the outcome ;)

When I said some people would not call it a fast car with only 170 hp i was thinking of Beast. Feels good when I'm right... :lol:

I wouldn't mind betting that something light like a Caterham could potentially have good MPG as well. Any stats out there? What about the bike engine Lotus 7 Reps?

Good one Waynne! Chapman's aproach could be the sword for Gordian knut. Lightweight does not need huge power, so it can be economical consumptionwise.

My 207 GTI with remap (210 BHP 330 NM) does 0-60 in 6.4 1/4 mile in 15.2 and 140 flat out although I'm just about to install a longer 5th gear ratio (from Pug) for 150 squid which will take it up to the 150/155 mark and improve fuel burn. All this and 33-45 MPG 190 road tax.