Driving whilst tired- take a break.

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Do you take a break when driving long distances? How frequently? The latest guidelines are to take a break as soon as you yawn! If I did this then I would never get any work done until mid afternoon!

I'm about the same. 3 or 4 hours. Then if there is still journey left to do I take this is 2 hour chunks with 15-30 minute breaks especially if I am feeling tired.

Well I don't have my license yet but when I'm practising I usually try to take a break when I'm getting to tired. They are actually showing a advertisement here in Iceland that tells people to stop and have a nap at the back of the car or stopping at a gas or a service station if they are getting too tired to try to bring down the rate of traffic accidents. I think it is a good idea and more people should do this because that would really bring down the accident rate.

I did once cover London to Land's End to Stirling to John O'Groats and back to London in 48 hours with two drivers. That's over 2000 miles! I'm sure we were both exhausted but at the age of 19 the sense adventure kept both awake. So did the racket of the Fiat 127 Sport we did it in. Great car though, even at ten years old it was quite comfortable at 90 odd mph.

NEVER, EVER DRIVE TIRED

I drove home from Huddersfield to Leicestershire at around midnight once in the early days of seeing Mrs Blacklineninja way back about 8 years ago. There was nothing else on the M1 and I was having difficulty keeping my eyes open.

The next thing I knew the car was vibrating like crazy and I managed to miss the central reservation at the very last second having previously been on the inside lane - I'd blacked out and drifted across all three lanes!!!

Pure fear kept me awake until I got to the next service station where I tanked up on black coffee and fell asleep for an hour or so on the back seat before continuing my journey refreshed.

NEVER, EVER DRIVE TIRED

I drove home from Huddersfield to Leicestershire at around midnight once in the early days of seeing Mrs Blacklineninja way back about 8 years ago. There was nothing else on the M1 and I was having difficulty keeping my eyes open.

The next thing I knew the car was vibrating like crazy and I managed to miss the central reservation at the very last second having previously been on the inside lane - I'd blacked out and drifted across all three lanes!!!

Pure fear kept me awake until I got to the next service station where I tanked up on black coffee and fell asleep for an hour or so on the back seat before continuing my journey refreshed.

Jesus thats horrifying. Least you woke up on time, and its taught you a lesson, rather than binning the car into the barrier and learning that way.

I dont do much long distance driving, I'm headed to Newcastle in May to see some friends, and Leeds in the next few weeks, but Leeds is inside an hour, and Newcastle will be on a Saturday morning with a fresh head, so I'm rarely tired driving.

You should have had the coffee after the power nap BLN ;)

Seriously though, when you are tired you are less likely to realise you are tired. Its worse than alcahol for dulling the senses as it creeps up on you.