Do v8's have a place anymore

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
With makers dropping v8's and other large capacity engines we should ask do these engines have a place in the modern motoring world?

Take a turbocharged 2.0 litre engine and it will out perform a V8, is substantially lighter and gives much better fuel economy.

What is the case for large capacity V engines then?

Four cylinders isn't really enough for top class refinement even with the torque and power outputs available through turbocharging.

Somehow I cannot see Bentley adopting straight fours, and consider that their V8s are turbocharged anyway.

I'd like to see someone make a 2 litre four with 500bhp and which is still silent.

Because Mad Max would not have been seen dead driving some gay 2.0 turbo?

Wo wo wo!! Now then now then now then!!! A direct hit at dsubaru and myself!! We can not let this stand.

Gay 2L turbo????

Now I appreciate the V8 and would like to see it in new cars. The sound from a V8 is great. Don't forget, a few supercars use V8's and they are much faster then a 2L turbo. BUT you have to remember about the weight of the engine. You give a V8 to a jap company like Miti they would probably produce enough power to stop the earth from revolving! :bigsmile:

Now the only reason why we have fast 2L cars is because of World Rally Champs. If they had not set a limit on rally cars then we would have ones now days with V8 engines going around at about the same speed as the 2L ones do now. The 2L turbo engines that are around are a sign of master engineering and they deserve the highest of respect.

Four cylinders isn't really enough for top class refinement even with the torque and power outputs available through turbocharging.

Somehow I cannot see Bentley adopting straight fours, and consider that their V8s are turbocharged anyway.

I'd like to see someone make a 2 litre four with 500bhp and which is still silent.

got i there a 2ltr can not sit at 70 and be doing 1000rpm and silent

they are not bad on juice its all how you drive them

I guess if mpg and carbon footprint is your thing then you would want a state of the art small capacity, high efficiency engine but in all honesty the soundtrack of such a machine is like the Eurovision song contest as opposed to rock. V8's will always have a place in our hearts, those of us that have had them. The bigger capacity engines will always be found in high end cars as they are more capable for offering refinement, balance and brawn when required. Also having room to house them helps!

The reason why the USA was overrun with V8s was their low revving nature and longetivity as a 4 pot would be worn out in no time due to the miles these cars can rack up over a year. The clever ones being these Hemi's where the banks can be switched from 8 to 4 depending on your driving style.

It would be interesting to know what would fare better after 100k miles, a refined V8 or a 2 ltr turbo?

I'm sorry. Have I missed something here. I thought the thread was about why they are fazing out the V8's. I appreciate someone made a comment about 2L Turbo's but we are not comparing which are better here. The "2L Turbo IS NOT THE REPLACEMENT FOR THE V8'S!!!!! Car manufactures have just decided to faze them out. I have already shown my appreciation of the V8 and how I like them, but can we stop comparing them to 2L!!!!! There is no need. Everyone seems happy to slag them off just now? Why?? They are not made to last as well as the V8's over 100k miles. Its like comparing a tractor against a LandRover defender. They are different bits of kit. :mad:

To make this a bit more of a level playing field. Lets say you can only slag off 2L Turbo Cars if you have owned a V8! I don't want someone who has only ever driven a 1.1 Clio slaging off cars they have never had the privilege to drive.

On that note. I'll drag any V8!! Chances are I'd lose, but I'd give it a go! :bigsmile:

chance are that your 4wd will stifle the start whereas the V8 will spin it's rear wheels,

theres a fair chance that it would be a close race :lol:

I was merely trying to make a comparison, which didn't really help as it now looks like I'm starting an argument which wasn't my aim.

I was looking at the statement from the OP and was looking for how they would compare after a hard life and what one would fare better. If manufacturers were phasing one design out and replacing it with a smaller unit how would it cope in todays environment? One would require more maintenance and the other would not be so highly stressed.

From this I would only assume that the manufacturers are looking to reduce the life of their cars so they can sell more as too many larger engined ones are lasting longer than expected?

also have to think just cos its a v8 dont meen its fast
i have a trans am 5.0 v8 and my 1.8 a4 is quicker

ok i have had quick v8s my last trans am was a 5.7v8 running about 400bhp
but most of them are not quick but very smooth

when i had my lexus that was a 4.0v8 and you could never tell what the engine was doing or hear it fact you can stand a 20p on a lexus engine and take it to what ever rev you want and it will still be standing
and yes i tryed it up to the red line

Well 2L Turbos do have there place! I for one own one! and I have embarressed many a V8 owner over the years! ;)

I adore V8's and for me their demise I feel is still some way off!
Rolls Royces, Bentleys, Maserati's, and the Yank Tanks etc, show off all that is great about the V8. Effortless power and refinement with a unique noise all of it's own. With automotive technology such as it is today, i'm sure that a place for the mighty V8 can still be found in this greener world of ours, and that it can still be considered acceptable to own one, to drive and to cherish one! Long may they live! :)

I guess if mpg and carbon footprint is your thing then you would want a state of the art small capacity, high efficiency engine but in all honesty the soundtrack of such a machine is like the Eurovision song contest as opposed to rock. V8's will always have a place in our hearts, those of us that have had them. The bigger capacity engines will always be found in high end cars as they are more capable for offering refinement, balance and brawn when required. Also having room to house them helps!

The reason why the USA was overrun with V8s was their low revving nature and longetivity as a 4 pot would be worn out in no time due to the miles these cars can rack up over a year. The clever ones being these Hemi's where the banks can be switched from 8 to 4 depending on your driving style.

It would be interesting to know what would fare better after 100k miles, a refined V8 or a 2 ltr turbo?

Both will do well in these reliability stakes if they're maintained properly. Usual turbo rules apply - DON'T SWITCH OFF UNTIL IT'S HAD A COUPLE OF MINUTES TO COOL DOWN. This, of course, slightly negates the thermodynamic and efficiency advantage.

What you people don't think about is that yours is not the only country in the world. Try pulling a caravan with a 2ltr i don't think so. The technology in V/8's these days gives them amazing fuel economy as they are able to run on any number of cylinders depending on the load. Here in oz both ford and gmh manufacture cars with turbo and supercharged v/8 and 6 cyl. HSV produced reasontly a 427 cu street car run it in a 12hour event it won by 4 laps 6.7kms per lap against all comers evos subies rx8 so its very difficult to beat cubic inches.

What you people don't think about is that yours is not the only country in the world. Try pulling a caravan with a 2ltr i don't think so. The technology in V/8's these days gives them amazing fuel economy as they are able to run on any number of cylinders depending on the load. Here in oz both ford and gmh manufacture cars with turbo and supercharged v/8 and 6 cyl. HSV produced reasontly a 427 cu street car run it in a 12hour event it won by 4 laps 6.7kms per lap against all comers evos subies rx8 so its very difficult to beat cubic inches.

Why can't you pull a caravan with a 2ltr?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcHNQXB-EqQ

I dragged a huge 24 ft van about a couple of times with the remapped 406. That was only a 2.2 and it wrenched it about the place with absolute aclarity.

a 24ft caravan is not huge and how for did you put this try pulling it more than 3or4 thousand kms it has been done but the 4 cyl was in pretty poor condition and other countries are a lot larger than the U.K.

Having owned 4 pot turbo cars, V6's and V8's I can honestly say the V8's are my favourite and they most certainly have their place! The V8's just seem more "relaxed" when being pushed hard compared to the 4pot and 6cyl motors - oh, and the noise is fantastic!

Never had a V10 though... so maybe I'm missing something ;). I'll have to get myself a V10 one day!

a 24ft caravan is not huge and how for did you put this try pulling it more than 3or4 thousand kms it has been done but the 4 cyl was in pretty poor condition and other countries are a lot larger than the U.K.

This thread is really about the demise of V8 motive power units.

All I am illustrating is that modern diesel cars deliver stacks of torque. So much that it's not imperative to have a V8 to haul a sizeable trailer about the place.

I guess our limited roads are too small for 24 feet caravans and the like. It's interesting that V8's are a rare luxury over here but in Aus and USA etc they are probably the norm!

I also note that Alfa are pulling their v6's on the grounds of economy and I think the 2.5RS engine from Ford is also going to be pulled!

I think it is also interesting that Diesels haven't caught on in other countries like they have in the UK. A good large capacity diesel would cope well with pulling a 24ft caravan!

This is actually proving to be an interesting debate and its nice to hear opinions and comments from all walks of motoring life.

As has been said this is not a "2.0 turbo vs v8" thread I was just interested in the concept that in the light of modern engine tech that the old thirsty V8 has perhaps had it's day.

It sounds like the V8 is getting the tech applied to it so perhaps it will continue to live on. It would be sad that the "greenies" get to claim a minor victory.

The V8's (at least some) are defiantly getting the tech applied. My RS4 V8 is very responsive and revs through to 8500rpm which not so long ago was unheard of for a V8. They where lazy and couldn't cope with much over 6000rpm. My Range Rover V8 is a prime example of this, its a seriously thirsty 4.4 V8 compared to the Audi 4.2 and produces 125BHP less than the RS4, only revs to 6200rpm and is is very lazy. They are both naturally aspirated V8's so they make a good comparison.

Wo wo wo!! Now then now then now then!!! A direct hit at dsubaru and myself!! We can not let this stand.

Gay 2L turbo????

Now I appreciate the V8 and would like to see it in new cars. The sound from a V8 is great. Don't forget, a few supercars use V8's and they are much faster then a 2L turbo. BUT you have to remember about the weight of the engine. You give a V8 to a jap company like Miti they would probably produce enough power to stop the earth from revolving! :bigsmile:

Now the only reason why we have fast 2L cars is because of World Rally Champs. If they had not set a limit on rally cars then we would have ones now days with V8 engines going around at about the same speed as the 2L ones do now. The 2L turbo engines that are around are a sign of master engineering and they deserve the highest of respect.

This is all very true. But what would rather say when apocalypse beckons? "The last of the V8 interceptors" or "oh dear, the heat soak is ruining my intake temps?" :p:p

Aye well despite my gentle mockery I object to paying 450 quid a year or more road tax, so an Astra VXR is looking more a possibility now than a big Jag V8. Despite the Astra being 240bhp as standard it still makes it into band K so is only 250 a year.

Gay 2L turbo????

ace i love this and so very true!!