Torque Cars

Diesel exhaust systems

Discussion in 'Diesel Chat' started by orca1911, 20 April 2019.

Tags:
  1. Greg1990

Greg1990 Tuner

Pontefract
    Car:
    S40 2.0D SE sport
    Like I said before..with a decent simple re-map you’ll see 150BHP with better MPG and no effect on reliability..I’ve only done bolt on modifications...Other than changing the injectors or the clutch I wouldn’t start messing with internals such as crank/rods or pistons..I’m not trying to create a race car,just a good street car...The “wolf in sheep’s clothing “.. :)

2. orca1911

orca1911 Wrench Pro

Canada
    Car:
    Peugeot 206 1.6 HDI
    It's somewhat unfair how diesel engines are deemed not street worthy by just being a diesel. I'm looking forward to your "finalization" of modding the volvo (we all know modding doesnt stop until the car blows up lol).

3. Greg1990

Greg1990 Tuner

Pontefract
    Car:
    S40 2.0D SE sport
    We like our diesels here...they are so tuneable and still remain reliable not having a “spark” to worry about..I’m chomping at the bit having to wait to have her re-mapped!...Whatever power she does there is going to be a limiting factor stopping her doing more like injectors or clutch...that will be the next phase...lol..:)

4. orca1911

orca1911 Wrench Pro

Canada
    Car:
    Peugeot 206 1.6 HDI
    Is it possible to make a large diameter exhaust system with a cat that has a larger (custom) honeycomb filter in case of an injector upgrade and black smoke issues?

5. Greg1990

Greg1990 Tuner

Pontefract
    Car:
    S40 2.0D SE sport
    Anything is possible but black smoke issues are generally down to over fuelling,this can happen when a poor quality map over fuels to make the power!..Those maps are usually “generic “ ones that have been downloaded off the internet and are not unique to that car..A custom dyno map is created that’s for the car in question which in turn minimises black smoke.I get a little puff of black smoke when I first accelerate hard but as the revs rise it disappears due to the fuel being burned more efficiently with the correct fuel/air mixture..That’s the beauty of having the map done on the rolling road,you can tailor the fuel/air mixture throughout the Rev range whilst the engine is under load,you can even play with the torque curve for it to develop the characteristics you may personally want?...I’ve waffled on a bit there..lol..Hope it makes sense.. :)

6. orca1911

orca1911 Wrench Pro

Canada
    Car:
    Peugeot 206 1.6 HDI
    I'm among those tough crowd kinda people, i like to measure things a few hundred times before cutting to make sure everything is up to the specs. When it comes to cars, i have never done any mods but at least i can learn as much as i can before applying it in real life. I can ask questions to no end lol

Greg1990 likes this.
  7. TCJBOLDIE

TCJBOLDIE Torque King

Brisbane
    Car:
    JB Starion
    As a general rule diesel black smoke in a stock vehicle is the result of IMO blocked air filters and or injectors.

A free flowing big bore exhaust system should not increase or cause black smoke.

My previous 4x4 diesel dual cab ute had the muffler deleted and no smoke over the 170000 KLM's that I owned it.

Greg1990 likes this.
  8. orca1911

orca1911 Wrench Pro

Canada
    Car:
    Peugeot 206 1.6 HDI
    So not even under somewhat heavy modifications should the smoke appear?

random example, this is what im trying to avoid at all cost

Last edited: 7 May 2019
  9. Greg1990

Greg1990 Tuner

Pontefract
    Car:
    S40 2.0D SE sport
    lol..all those cars have been modified and the owners have wanted them to black smoke and the way to do that is to have more fuel than air going in...It’s a craze over here with all the boy racers and the terms they use are..”where there’s smoke there’s poke” or “you don’t have poke without smoke “..both being untrue!...
    This is the place to ask all your questions...everyone will help where they can..:)

Lunchmoney and orca1911 like this.
  10. orca1911

orca1911 Wrench Pro

Canada
    Car:
    Peugeot 206 1.6 HDI
    So basically, as long as i have the right amount of air/fuel mixture in the combustion process i should not see black smoke coming from the exhaust, even under modifications of any kind (as long as its the right kind)?

Thanks, i appreciate all the help i can get :)

11. Greg1990

Greg1990 Tuner

Pontefract
    Car:
    S40 2.0D SE sport
    I’m no expert but I originally had a “generic “ map installed off a laptop,it had the desired effect ie more power but under hard acceleration she smoked like we saw on the above video..When I had her mapped on the dyno the lad that did it said he couldn’t believe my car ran so well with the amount of fuel that was being dumped into it,he said it was so bad it should have destroyed the turbo!..He said he’d never seen an ECU so badly modified!...he then spent over 4 hours undoing what the back street mapper had done and then installed his custom map resulting in an extra 10BHP and 40ftlb of torque with you’ve guessed it...NO SMOKE!..he said all that smoke it was producing was just unburned fuel...just a query,what time is it in Canada?..it’s just coming up to 2:00pm here in England..

12. orca1911

orca1911 Wrench Pro

Canada
    Car:
    Peugeot 206 1.6 HDI
    Yeah i figured the smoke being so black must be just unburnt fuel and generally a bad tune overall, i mean, why would you up the fuel injection if its not going to burn completely. Either im missing something the whole time or my guessing was right about it being just a bad idea.

I plan on going to a professional tuner that will do a complete dyno run(s), generic internet maps are out of the question. The rule of thumb for me is, if its so easy that even i can do it, it must be a bad idea lol. It's about 11:00am now

Greg1990 likes this.
  13. Greg1990

Greg1990 Tuner

Pontefract
    Car:
    S40 2.0D SE sport
    You only have to upgrade the injectors after you have done other mods like turbo and intercooler etc..you’re only around 5hrs behind us,thought it was more?...and like I said...my mapper spent over 4hr on my car and must have done around 30+ runs before he was happy with the engine map...

Last edited: 7 May 2019
  14. orca1911

orca1911 Wrench Pro

Canada
    Car:
    Peugeot 206 1.6 HDI
    How much did the whole process cost you so far?

15. Greg1990

Greg1990 Tuner

Pontefract
    Car:
    S40 2.0D SE sport
    All in all I’ve spent around £1,500.that’s the map,DPF/EGR delete,hybrid turbo/custom made stainless exhaust and the new Nissan skyline GTR intercooler inclusive of all labour...The new map next week will only cost £100 per hour dyno time as he’s already mapped it before..not sure what that equates into Canadian dollars?...lol.
    My tuning pal told me diesel track/drag cars with serious amounts of power will black smoke because they do run with very high fuel to air ratios..apparently it helps with keeping the engine cool under high loads at the cost of fuel consumption which isn’t really a concern in those applications...

Last edited: 8 May 2019
    Lunchmoney likes this.
  16. orca1911

orca1911 Wrench Pro

Canada
    Car:
    Peugeot 206 1.6 HDI
    Thats a seriously decent budget tuning if you ask me. You're at a sleeper version almost, best pony per dolla' i've seen so far. I hope i get to that level with that much money spent.

I have searched extensively about engine limits and etc and i came across a generic rule o' thumb where it states that 100hp per engine liter is the generic value where you can drive it daily on a reliable basis/map with short service intervals.

The way i see it, if i manage to find a good welder (to make a tubular exhaust manifold for a slightly bigger turbo and a sport exhaust system) and a tuner who would dedicate his day in tuning it to the hp per liter i mentioned, i think i can reach the 140hp mark of stable tune, maybe 150.

That plus the right air/fuel mixture, proper cooling, air intake upgrades etc should make it still a healthy little engine for quite some time at least. The only reason i would scratch it all and go for a gti petrol engine is if i get the rare chance to find a 180hp gti engine with variable valve timing tech on it. It would be on the same price but more hp and i would definitely go for forged internals for the fun of it.

So these are all of mine so called brain farts, i just like to think about car things all day long, sketching, planning, calculating the cost, labor hours and whatnot.

17. orca1911

orca1911 Wrench Pro

Canada
    Car:
    Peugeot 206 1.6 HDI
    On a totally unrelated notice, i watched this video today and wanted to share it because i like it (the car and engine)

He did pull everything out of the car it seems to make it lighter but still 170hp is not crazy much but it feels crazy fun. I wonder how that same power feels like (in diesel terms lol) in the same light vehicle :D

18. Greg1990

Greg1990 Tuner

Pontefract
    Car:
    S40 2.0D SE sport
    To be fair...it’s the old adage..”it’s not what ye know,it’s who ye know “...I’m sure it would have cost a lot more for someone else to do the same mods whereas I’ve received “mates rates “..stick with the diesel..you’ll easily reach your goal with a lot less dollar than going petrol!...

19. Greg1990

Greg1990 Tuner

Pontefract
    Car:
    S40 2.0D SE sport
    Well a friend has got a little Seat Ibiza 1.9TDI..It’s producing 245BHP and that thing is rapid!..it’s had the same mods as mine albeit with a bigger turbo..he’s just in the process of uprating the clutch then he should see around 260-280BHP!..

Last edited: 9 May 2019
  20. orca1911

orca1911 Wrench Pro

Canada
    Car:
    Peugeot 206 1.6 HDI
    Yeah, i completely forgot about that tiny detail... I should've worked on my networking skills lol

Make him post his build, i'd really like to see it :D

21. orca1911

orca1911 Wrench Pro

Canada
    Car:
    Peugeot 206 1.6 HDI
    Btw is it somewhat of a bad idea to tune a 1.6l engine? Is a 2.0/1.9 always a better choice just because of the liter thingy, is there more to it?

22. Greg1990

Greg1990 Tuner

Pontefract
    Car:
    S40 2.0D SE sport
    To be fair he bought the car already modified so I doubt he’d know all the inns and outs?...it goes without saying a larger capacity engine will inevitably create more power but for what you’re wanting to accomplish your car is more than adequate...is that new pic your car?...looks very nice ..

23. orca1911

orca1911 Wrench Pro

Canada
    Car:
    Peugeot 206 1.6 HDI
    Ah that's a shame then, i wanted to see those mods. On another unrelated topic, i managed to find a detailed specification of the engine that i have installed in my car where it states all sorts of tiny details,you just need to right click and translate the page, here's the link http://motors-engineering.com/news/...yrJijN5kcYqKacV1cn_olUX4xkJJBc24p2ccL97zWsJSk

Interesting things like it has forged light alloy pistons, graphite inserts on piston skirts, forged steel connecting rods, crank cast from alloyed (spring) steel subjected to so-called rolling etc etc all indicating that maybe i could go even a bit beyond 150 mark with "stock" internals. Yeah i was playing this pixel car game on my phone and i wanted to add a avatar just for the fun of it lol

24. Greg1990

Greg1990 Tuner

Pontefract
    Car:
    S40 2.0D SE sport
    I’m sure I’ve said before but Diesel engines are built more strongly than petrol derivatives..thicker blocks etc..one of the main weak links is the standard head bolts...because you can stuff a load of boost into a diesel and can stretch them which is known as headlift...but for that to happen you do need to be putting in some serious boost provided by a seriously big turbo..lol

Last edited: 9 May 2019
  25. orca1911

orca1911 Wrench Pro

Canada
    Car:
    Peugeot 206 1.6 HDI
    How much boost is serious boost lol, thats a helpful info about the head bolts, wasn't thinking about that. Is there a way to figure out the turbochargers? Every turbo has this graph that idk how to read so is there a way for someone like me to know the right span/size of turbos i can put into the car without having to think if its going to spool at all or not?