Checks before driving.

turbonutter69

TC ModFather
Car
Insignia SRI.
I'm abit lazy when it comes to checks before I drive away.
My only check is if the car starts. :lol::lol:

I just wondered what sort of things everyone else checks before setting off?

Usually double check my mirrors especially if her indoors has been it.
The seats are electric and have 3 memory settings so the adjustment back for me is easy to do.
I always wait for the onboard computer to run it's diagnostics after the car has been fired up just incase I have a lamp out or something.
Oil, Nitrogen in tyres and water checks get done fortnightly without fail. ;)

Daily checks are visibility, clear windows and mirrors (winter) and dash check and glowplus light out before firing up beast. Then make sure radio is on right station before setting off. Usual mirror check and all four tyres inflated!

With modern machinery that's well maintained you can generally rely upon driver warning systems to alert you to possible issues. But I still walk round the car every few days and look for possible problems.

I'm close to neurotic about having cars that drive correctly and I still do the stationary and moving brake tests when starting any journey, no matter how short.

Stationary for pedal feel. On the move as soon as possible I do a moving brake test.

I also check tyre pressures even fortnight or so. But I'm such a fussy driver that I'd spot an underinflated tyre pretty quickly anyway.

I like to have a full screen wash tank but again most cars will tell you that it's running low.

Strangely I never check engine oil level regularly and rely upon warning systems to tell me that it needs attention.

Last edited: