cars getting very cheap at the mo it seems

aston

The Torque Meister
Car
VOLVO and VW
Like most I have allways hankered after certain cars but being a cheapskate bargain hunter have allways waited until the depreciation curve is near its end, Any way basically I was day dreamin on ebay etc looking at totally inpractical performance cars so looked at a couple of old faves of mine, Fiat Coupe 20v turbo, Loads under a grand, 90's 911's also good prices, shame I do so many miles and need 45mpg plus

No one is buying at the moment. Still trying to sell a mint condition A3 - the classified ads are the same cars for the last 2 months. Nothing is moving. If you want something special and fast this is a great time to buy. People are getting pretty desparate to sell.

You could always get something boringly slow for the commute and also get a fun weekend car to play with. An S2000 would be a good option for a weekender, bullet proof reliability and a fun drive. Pre 2001 and it gets lower tax as well.

mate, if I purchased yet another car I'd be living in it. I bought a car recently, drove it for the first time today, don't like it and now it's for sale.
I'd suggest putting your car on ebay, it's got to sale in an auction

I'm not in a hurry to sell it. It wont cost me anything till July when the TAX/MOT/Service is due and then in October when the insurance is due. I think I will try putting it on Ebay though when the time comes.

They are cheap to buy. Whether new or 2nd user. But the cost of running 'em is almost prohibitive with the outrageous fuel prices and cost of living in general being as high as it is. Though the general cost of living is influenced by road fuel prices anyway.

I'd like better MPG from my current car - not because it's especially thirsty but because 132.9 per litre for standard 95RON U/L is outrageous.

xm, no it was an ebay purchase as i needed a diesel in a hurry but to be honest it was parked on my drive until this week when i got around to taxing it. Just too bug for my present needs, good smooth car though with retro looks.
I just can't figure out the best car for my needs, I think a 911 turbo pick up with a rock n roll bed and a pop top converted to run on veg oil or lpg

Look at BMW's 325 and 525 tds models. They're old tech diesels but still refined and lively to drive.

Lot's to be said for the straight six configuration. Naturally free from 2nd order vibration, require no balancer shafts and as such all the other components last much longer.

I was looking at 2,2 hdi coupes just now but they are asking more than i am prepared to pay, Still buying the Saab diesel as the family car but i want to get my purchase just right for my car, I drive 100 miles a day for work and want to enjoy it without having to spend too much on fuel or maintenance, The perfect car was my mondeo but alas it may be in a bad state

HDI, Paul, I just checked out the tds's the trouble is the mpg cost per mile is much the same as a petrol, And I have heard frightening things about the bmw fuel pumps, all the same I guess these are Bosche pumps and will therefore run on vegoil???

Raw veg oil is not fabulous with any diesel engine. Inline pumps usually work better than rotary ones. We're talking old school diesels here, mind. Common rail machinery is very very different. General advice is AVOID vegetable derived derv.

Biodiesel, even if produced from waste veg oils is very different to raw veg oil. Personally I'd use a blend of 50:50 veg to pump diesel in summer, perhaps as high as 80:20 in winter, with the 80% being pump diesel.

I'm not really very familiar with old school diesels - I was the original diesel hater and possibly its biggest detractor.

Why the campaign for diesel? It's not necessarily the cheapest way to travel, even if you do like the massive midrange thump (which you won't get with an IDI diesel anyway) ??

well basically with the huge miles i am doing i need to save where ever i can without resorting to a 1 ltr petrol engine, hence the diesel thing, ive done the lpg thing several times and generaly its a pain, I may take your advice and try a bm 325 tds, years ago when I was flush I purchased a newish BMW 5 with the latest derv engine and to be honest the car ored me stupid, so for now I also have my sights on a fiat/gm jtd multijet engined car (147) I'll see how it goes but the bottom line is I want to enjoy every one of my huge miles I commute not just do.