Buying a new car. Which one?

jizy

Wrench Pro
I started off with a 1.1l fiesta. Wrote that off pretty quick. Had to scrap it instead of claiming. I then bought a Mk2 Clio 1.2 16v. Ive moved the air box to the lower front grill and installed a carbon fiber air intake, sports cat and back box. It has decent ICE aswell.

Its a nice car but with a years no claims and some cash to spend I'm after something a bit more exiting. I'm getting into car modding and would like something I could work on. Need something that not mental on MPG because of work but fun to drive and nice looking.

Ive looked at getting a new Clio, maybe one of the smaller turboed engines, Seat leons 1.8 20v, Saxo VTS, Golfs. But really stuck. Does anyone know of a car that fits what I want?

Any suggestions?

I really like the V5 Seat Toledo and VW Golf. Later ones have 20 valve heads so these kick out about 170bhp, the 10v ones were 150bhp.

There are nice cars but im only 18 so need something thats friendly to insure. Dont want to pay more than around 2500 a year. Ive looked at a Skoda VRS TDI.

£2500 ??????????????

F~~~in' bas~~~d hell.

What are the insurers playing at? That's over the top and some.

The most I've ever payed is just over £450.

I'm interested in this - who's providing you with quotes of £2500. And for what?

Looking foward to a reply,

Kind regards,

Paul.

I have a 03 clio 1.2 16v. I pay £1400 a year fully comp £300 excess. That on my dads policy with my own no claims. Any ideas for getting it down? Would love to go buy a nice car but the insurance is holding me back.

Park in a garage, limited mileage, take a higher excess (you get it back if the claim is not your fault) Sometimes adding an older person brings down the insurance cost - it's wierd I know but I does happen. Getting a full Thatcham alarm/immobiliser will also help if you are in a "theft risk" area. Become a girl - they get discounts all round!

The Rover 2.0 Gsi is an anomaly as far as groupings go - same engine as a GTi but 3-4 groups lower! Honda Civics have quite a bit of tuning potential.

Think what would a boy racer not want and go for it. A TDi Skoda is probably one of the best value to performance as far as insurance goes.

OLDER cars are also cheaper to insure so get a low mileage old car and you will be laughing (hopefully!)

The GTi and GSi are different. GSi is a single cam 16 valve unit, GTi is a twin cam 16 valve unit and there's about 20bhp between them.

pffft im third party and pay 1700, doesnt help ive had three crashes, out of those id go for the saxo vts or a golf, but i think the vts might be faster though unless you get a gti, i think dont quote me, both cars look nice and surely perform well

my rover is twin cam 16v does that make it gti :p lol

Three crashes probably isn't the best way to lower one's premium. Thanks for sharing that though. I thought the quotes were on the high side. Two or three claim free years will help....Good luck happy hunting

Rgds,

Paul.

I have a 03 clio 1.2 16v. I pay £1400 a year fully comp £300 excess. That on my dads policy with my own no claims. Any ideas for getting it down? Would love to go buy a nice car but the insurance is holding me back.

if your paying that for a 1.2 stay clear of anything over a 1.6.

your clio falls into around group 2 or 3 the 1.8t seat vw audi unit is around 15-17. chances are your insurance company would just laugh at you.

look at small diesel engines as well 1.4 1.6 or even the 1.9 vw found in the Fabia VRS ( dont go for this one see if you can uncover a 110, 115 unit standard fabia rather than the 130 vrs )

easiest way is to get around a couple of years no claims.

massive. Just about all rovers are twin cam'd

The GTi and GSi are different. GSi is a single cam 16 valve unit, GTi is a twin cam 16 valve unit and there's about 20bhp between them.
You're thinking of the 1.6 the 2.0 T series engines in these models are both 140BHP! The GSi has 4 doors and Gti 2 and apart from a more sporty interior both are substantially different to insure.

HDI -

I'm on my mums insurance, I'm 20, paying 2K a year (Or just over) for a 2litre 140bhp Golf GT TDI Sport

Its an arse kicking contest mate. Thats why I've not gone for the 170bhp jobby. I'll just chip this eventually.

Not if you go the Black and Decker route! I guess the shopping trips will eventually add up! (I'm expecting the girls to start ganging up on me now! :lol:)

its easier just to add a woman as a named driver. youll save some money mabye not as much as being a woman but hey it aint going to hurt as much

The insurers need an arse kicking, too. OK, they all freely admit that car insurance is a money sink but they still make plenty of profit from other policies and services. Contents, buildings, endowments. It's all profitable.

They have to offer car insurance because without it none of us would be able to drive to work to earn money and then spend said money on other insurance policies from which they make a profit.

Ive been looking at cars and im going for a new Corsa Sxi. Mite not be what I rele want but comes with sports pack, 17" alloys wraped in low profile rubber, S.S back box and there going to fit some of the factory tuning parts to it. Like the front grill etc. Getting the either the 1.4 16v or the 1.7 tdi. Going to test drive them both.

Sounds nice. Personally i would go with the TDI as you can rechip them.

Don't chip it, please. Go and get a custom remap, it's the only proper way to tune a turbocharged car. Chips are a bodge, they work by altering the ECU input parameters thus leading the ECU to mis-respond to the situation. A custom map can be tuned to your liking eg. short pedal response; earlier fuel rail pressure rise etc.

Rovers : yes, most are twin cam units but the 216GSi is a single cam 16 valve with rockers to drive the exhaust valves.

Well guys thanks for the advice. Ive looked at every option and Im going to stick with my clio for another year. Get my no claims and save a bit more cash. Then see what I can get insured on. They need to sort out the amount young drivers pay for it!