Best bits about driving

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What do you think the best bits of driving are?

For me a brisk overtake into a totally clear dry road ahead ranks pretty high. I also like doing sets of familiar twisty corners as much as I can as this sets me up for a good day!

Prince: Seeing other people admire your car ranks quite highly for me. I get people looking at my rims all the time.

Go on, show 'em. I'll get mine out in response :)

Prince: Seeing other people admire your car ranks quite highly for me. I get people looking at my rims all the time.

Go on, show 'em. I'll get mine out in response :)

I'm always up for a bit rim whoring!

DSCF0704.jpg

PTM_06.jpg

IMG_7573640x480.jpg

Fronts: 8J ET22
Rears: 8J ET17
Tyres: Stretched 215/40/17 (Falken 452s)

Overtaking a line of cars safely and thinking wow that was quick! Also having someone hugging your rear end and then planting the throttle (whilst still within the speed limit) and seeing them disappear into the distance as they fail to keep up. Then slowing down when exiting a sliproad etc and seeing them catch up and wondering why that Rover was so darned fast! :lol:

I also enjoy the twisty country roads where you can drive through them like they weren't there...................until you come across a caravan or three.

Then the best bits get tainted when you realise how much fuel you have just gone through! Then I think maybe I should have taken the Landy and just cruised.

The best bit about driving the Insignia 1.8 petrol hire car I have just had was giving the keys back to the hire company. Almost as gutless as the Astra I had.

The best bit about driving the Insignia 1.8 petrol hire car I have just had was giving the keys back to the hire company. Almost as gutless as the Astra I had.

That's a good idea. Go and rent some piece of junk for a few days and thereby appreciate your own car much more once you get back into it.

Re: 3 easiest DIY modifications

I now feel so inadequate having seen Prince's magnificent items.

All I can manage is 225/55 96W on factory stock 16 inch alloy maggots.

My engine's bigger, though. And it's got 2 more cylinders.

Oh, give it up, HDi. You're never gonna win this

when somone is tailgating you and you give them a shock by slamming on the breaks :D then pulling away...

I do agree if it is proper tailgating then something is in order. Usually its because they want to overtake so....

I tend to flick on the twin foglights ( as they appear to be brake lights) then put my foot down
He slows down while you accellerate and are then so far in front he wont come near you again

BTW I only live 5 minutes away from you so just remember - Dont do it to a big green estate car :amuse:.

A Final thought

Just remenber when you say tailgating some might say you are driving too slowly.

A Final thought

Just remenber when you say tailgating some might say you are driving too slowly.

Possibly, yes.

But too slowly for whom? The berk behind who's totally unaware of the reason you're going slowly and is too thick to look beyond the end of his own bonnet?

Secondly, the tailgater could choose to overtake the slower moving car.

In my experience tailgaters are incredibly bad at overtaking, as they are at all other driving skills. A couple of weeks ago I slowed on the A418 between Thame and Aylesbury because of a retard driving a Clio who was so close I couldn't even see his wiper blades in the mirror. (For clarity I was travelling at nearly 70mph in a 60 zone so hardly too slowly). At this point there was about 2 miles of clear road for this spastic to overtake. Did he? Nope.

The upshot of this is that I continued to slow right to a halt. And he was so bloody close he had to REVERSE to be able to drive around me.

I then followed him (with about 150yards gap) and he duly caught up with the car ahead and preceeded to tailgate that, again ignoring the dozen or so overtaking opportunities.

Last edited:
For me the best part of driving is when your driving on the edge.
The "if i cock this up its a write off" moments give the greatest adrenaline buzz possible.
Love it when i get out of the car shaking thinking christ did i really just do that???

For me the best part of driving is when your driving on the edge.
The "if i cock this up its a write off" moments give the greatest adrenaline buzz possible.
Love it when i get out of the car shaking thinking christ did i really just do that???

Ride a bike if you like that kind of buzz. There's an added advantage as well in that you're invisible to most car drivers.

Originally Posted by SLEEPER
A Final thought

Possibly, yes.

But too slowly for whom? The berk behind who's totally unaware of the reason you're going slowly and is too thick to look beyond the end of his own bonnet?

Secondly, the tailgater could choose to overtake the slower moving car.

In my experience tailgaters are incredibly bad at overtaking, as they are at all other driving skills. A couple of weeks ago I slowed on the A418 between Thame and Aylesbury because of a retard driving a Clio who was so close I couldn't even see his wiper blades in the mirror. (For clarity I was travelling at nearly 70mph in a 60 zone so hardly too slowly). At this point there was about 2 miles of clear road for this spastic to overtake. Did he? Nope.

The upshot of this is that I continued to slow right to a halt. And he was so bloody close he had to REVERSE to be able to drive around me.

I then followed him (with about 150yards gap) and he duly caught up with the car ahead and preceeded to tailgate that, again ignoring the dozen or so overtaking opportunities.

Posted at the end and very much tounge in cheek

Ooo, Nice rims!!! This chick's gonna sleep with happy dreams tonight!!! ;)

Love driving in general, love being in the car and if possible I would probably live in my car. But what sends my heart into a frenzy is a lonely, clean, dry road with both fun turns and bits of stretches to floor it on. Fun fun fun :bigsmile: (might have a an audi s6 quattro soon, keep your fingers crossed for me, so it'll be even more fun to drive around!!!!!!)

A very very nice car! I hope it happens for you :)

So do I!!!! I'll be doin NOTHIN but driving if this carswap becomes reality!!!! :love: It's a -96 but the dude have put down probably more than the car is worth in restoring, fixin ups and extras so it sounds really really good. Gonna try and arrange a meet next week to go look at the car and also let him take a look at mine. Hopefully we can reach an agreement :bigsmile:
I'll be putting on extra layers of charm that's for sure :toung:

Originally Posted by SLEEPER
A Final thought

Posted at the end and very much tounge in cheek

Fair enough mate. I do take your point - some people go so incredibly needlessly slowly and then brake further still for shallow deviations from the straight ahead.

Not even tight enough curves to be called bends, never mind corners.

Thus rendering the following car even closer when the driver had no intent of closing the gap and is fed up with constantly braking needlessly.

It is a wind up when this happens and it's not unusual.

Stringing together a series of perfect heel and toes through a set of chincanes with no traffic, no speed cameras, and no lane hogs.

I am determined to try this technique again! I made a complete and utter mess of this the last time I tried :embarrest:

Heel and toe technique is something I'd never both with on the road to be honest.

And since I don't go on a track I'll never need to master it, nor will I have the opportunity. Especially now that I'm back in a two pedal car.

I am determined to try this technique again! I made a complete and utter mess of this the last time I tried :embarrest:

Just needs more practice.

Try it when you're stationary and in neutral with handbrake up, so you can get a good feel for where the pedals are and how they offset each other.

Just sit there and try braking with your toe whilst blipping the throttle with your heel.

I find that flat, tight fitting shoes help too. Something like a kung fu shoe.

Good luck!