Average Speed Cameras

dpsubaru

The Torque Meister
Car
Subaru WRX Turbo 04
they have these on the M74 outside Glasgow at present, was driving on this at around 37-40mph and every single other driver overtook but i kept it in check and wouldnt go over the 40mph limit. What was really amazing was home many people must have been doing about 60mph and then jammed the anchors on when they saw the camera just to speed up again once they were passed it - the amount of people that dont understand the word "average" is just phenomenal.

Heard from others that they are catching hundreds, if not thousands a week in the same section of roadworks!

Not suprised. So many people ignore averaging cameras. I know there is a bit of leeway but they don't seem to realise that it is their average speed between the cameras rather than the speed on the camera.

There is an urban myth going round that if you change lane they no longer can track you. This is utter bunkum as they use number plate regognition to catch you.

Its about time they moved them. Its been about two and a half years now. They will either be brave, stupid, or as you were outside of Glasgow, stolen! :blink:

Last edited:
they are still faffin about building the link onto the Stepps bypass - the one they shuold have built originally when the bypass was installed instead of having a ridiculous roundabout and a drive through a residential area.

Why is it lucky??

On my Thread called Speeding, you have just commented that you ''don't speed''

So which one is it! lol

If I turn off the M1 after just one camera I can use the country lanes with a 60mph limit instead of the stretch of motorway with a 50mph limit. :toung:

Northamptonshire took a liking to those things four or five years back. I'm not sure they do much for road safety but they do keep the traffic moving quite effectively when combined with variable speed limits.